Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Ringtones on my site?

Hey guys!

I have a fan website and I'd like to provide visitors with ringtones by that artist (ringtones that I make myself). Anyone know if I'd be allowed to do that, ie. would I be breaching any copyrights by doing so? I'd be sure to mention in a disclaimer that they are to be used for personal use only.

Thanks!

2. Default

OK, if you make the ringtones yourself, and you use them on your site, your fine, as you own them. If they are someone else's, and you use them without their consent, you can get into trouble for breaching copyright.

If you just cut down someone else's work and use that, you dont own it and can still get in trouble.

Hope this helps

3. Default

hey,

so, when you say "if you make the ringtones yourself", you mean that the music would have to be actually composed by me (ie. I wouldn't be able to use artists' music to make ringtones)?

thanks!

4. Default

What i mean is... that if you write, compose or create the music, you can do what you like with it. You can use other artists music but it can be breaching copyright...

can u get cream for that????? u know, ringtones on my site (sounds painful)

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Log in to see links
    What i mean is... that if you write, compose or create the music, you can do what you like with it. You can use other artists music but it can be breaching copyright...
    Hm I see. So, how does mobiles24 here do it? (please note I'm not trying to question this site or anything; just wanting to find out if I can use other music to make ringtones, without claiming it as my own of course)

Quote Originally Posted by gothicvamp1888 Log in to see links
    can u get cream for that????? u know, ringtones on my site (sounds painful)
    lol you mean can I get in trouble for it? That's what I'd like to know

7. Default

They insist that ringtones are under 30seconds, so no copyrights are breached

8. Default

So, what if I made my ringtones under 30 seconds? Would I then not be violating copyrights?

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by funnytim Log in to see links
    So, what if I made my ringtones under 30 seconds? Would I then not be violating copyrights?
    Of course you wouldn't [30 sec ringtones, that'll be fine]

longest u can ringtones are 60 seconds (1 minute), anything longer than that is copywrite infringement