View Poll Results: Are/were you hooked to Tetris Pop?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

21 60.00%
  • No

5 14.29%
  • Never played

9 25.71%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Review: Tetris Pop

Tetris Pop
    Mobile Game Review

Title:
    Tetris Pop
    Developer:
    Publisher: EA Mobile
    Release Date: Summer 2008
    Format: J2ME
    Game Features: Packed with surprises and secrets.
    Reviewed on: SE K800i

Summary

Push your skills to the limit in frantic timed challenges. Race the clock in 3 high-energy modes and several action-packed mini-variations. Survive wave after wave in Flood. Trigger bombs in Detonator. Hang on tight in Ledge. Dazzle your eyes and ears with brilliant colours, animated backgrounds and pulse-pounding beats. Tetris POP is packed with surprises and secrets.

Review

Ahhh back to reviewing been a while since my last one... anyway Tetris has come to my attention this week, probably because its such a classic, but thats not the only reason, theres a new one, and it goes by the name of Tetris Pop. Now I wasnt really a huge fan of Tetris Ultra, Tetris Mania and Tetris Blockout, dont get me wrong they were good if not great games, but to me they were a bit too flashy to be a proper Tetris game. So will Tetris Pop play and feel like the classic Tetris that I love... well maybe, lets find out.
    Ok so as you would expect having Tetris in the title the game is going to look and be Tetris, with its falling blocks that you rotate/flip into position to form lines. Within the game are 17 mini games, which all have their own different rules and requirements, which is a nice touch, and what this also means that you wont be playing the same game over and over, with these mini games you can sit back and take your time playing them, because... well Tetris Pop is all about being the timer, which is usually either a minute or 75 seconds. There isnt really a story mode but there is something similar, but I cant really describe what it is, but I can tell you what its like. You play through worlds which dont really have names, but they are numbered, each with 3 mini games to play, so like with Mario you have world 3-1, 3 being the world that you are in and the 1 being the level that you are on. On completing each level you are rated out of 5 stars, the better you do the more stars you get... obviously, but there are certain tasks you have to complete to gain the stars, and stars can also be earned based on speed and competence, the rating system actually helps the game become more enjoyable, but at the same time very frustrating, but mostly enjoyable. It also makes you want the replay the game, trying to get every star, or beat you previous score in that world.
    There are extra modes such as Pop Chrono allow you to choose how long you play for, you can have a nice quick game of 3 minutes or a long game of 20 minutes, but Pop Chrono does make you play a selection of mini games to play within the time you choose to play for, but the mini games all have their own time limits, but I must add youll only play the mini games that youve unlocked during the main game. Another mode Pop Mix, which lets you choose which mini games you want to play, which is a nice, as you can turn off the mini games that you dont like.
    The only problem I have with Tetris Pop and youll probably have the same one, is there is no classic mode, which really is a shame. But I have to say Tetris Pop is great, I loved playing it, the graphics and colours really make the game come alive, in terms of sound, really not bad at all, if you have played the original Tetris, youll probably recognise the in game music; yes its the original theme tune, well not completely the original, its been brought up to date, just for todays modern gamer, oh yeah the sound effect arent bad either, nothing great but not bad.
    Ok so Tetris Pop isnt going to be a classic like its big brother, but like its big brother youll find yourself hooked, and playing it for months to come.

Conclusion

So I wanted to play a game that felt and played like the original, I didnt get that, but what I got instead was a great game, maybe one of the best Ive played all year, graphically the game is stunning. Gameplay is fast and fun, for what I paid for this game it was well worth it.

Screenshots

Graphics: 9/10
    Easy on the eye, very nice, Bright and colourful

Sound:
    8/10
    Decent sound effects

Gameplay:
    9/10
    Fun and Fast

Story:
    0/10
    There is none (won't be added to final score)

Overall Score: 9 out of 10
    gold.gif
    Last edited by EvilSpaghetti; 06-10-2010 at 11:11 AM.

Nice Review but this game is the same as tetris mania
    Click on if you liked the post

3. Default

nice review but tetris pop isn't with music notes???

you mean quadra pop i think
    Click on if you liked the post

this game never changes
    this is classic

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by MischaKo Log in to see links
    you mean quadra pop i think
    yeah i mean that one... cuz this is just classic tetris, where is the "pop" part, or pop is just a general term
    Last edited by jcyp; 10-08-2008 at 08:40 PM.

7. Default

It's not classic tetris...

as you can't play classic tetris in it

only difference between this tetris and classic version is background

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-lightman Log in to see links
    yet again a great review
    you always post that

Quote Originally Posted by MischaKo Log in to see links
    Nice Review but this game is the same as tetris mania
    agree with that