View Poll Results: Which version is better to you?

Voters
110. You may not vote on this poll
  • 2D

15 13.64%
  • 3D

95 86.36%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Review: Need for Speed - Pro Street

Need for Speed: Pro Street
    Mobile Game Review

Title:
    Need for Speed: Pro Street
    Developer: Ironmonkey Studios
    Publisher: EA Mobile
    Release Date: December 2007
    Format: J2ME
    Game Features: Race and fine tune your car, Drift mode.
    Reviewed on:SE k700i & Nokia 5300

Summary

Once again Need for Speed is back, with Pro Street, moving away from genre of illegal street racing, and goes legal. Pro Street is the 11th title in the Need for Speed series and the 4th on the mobile. Made in both 2d and 3d, Pro Street is out to compete with the likes of Asphalt.

Review

In this review myself and Outlaw have been playing both the 2d and 3d versions of the game, comparing graphics, gameplay, and how the game made us feel. It seemed only fair that we reviewed both versions as some peoples phone wont be able to play the 3d version of the game, and really we wanted to see if there really is any difference between the two games, of course graphically there will be differences, so lets see how they play.

I think well start off with the 2d version, no main reason why.
    The first thing that is noticeable is the music, the joyous midi track, which you will find in most mobile java games, all that can be said about this one is at least its not as annoying as Leisure Suit Larry soundtrack, but it is annoying.
    As with most racing games you get the choice of a single race (quick race) or career mode.
    With single race you dont have to unlock all the cars to race them, there is a choice of 8 cars, although a few more would have been nice, and 3 tracks, more will be unlocked as you go through career mode. The loading time is quite long, but this may vary between handsets. As you would expect with the 2d version the graphics are simple, not very much detail on the tracks themselves, in fact you could say theyre rather dull, the same could be said for the cars, but at least the cars are recognisable.
    The only sound effects during the race are beeps (dont know any other way to describe them) right at the start and thats it, and I know Ive said the music is annoying but it would be nice if it were played during the race, but theres nothing, and really it makes the races boring. Its not really helped by the fact that during the race nothing changes, what I mean is the scenery, it stays the say throughout, just the smallest change would help, but nothing, well I say nothing, you often pass a lamp post, but its hardly the most exciting thing in the world. Don't worry you do get NOS during the races.
    Career mode doesnt have a story to it, and if it does I couldnt see it, which is a bit of a let down. Anyway during career mode as with all NFS games youll start with a slow car which I can tell you isnt very good, youll also find yourself competing in a series of races, no big surprise there, as you progress through your career youll unlock cars although there are only 8, upgrades and tracks, The aim, put simply, is to come first in each race. dont expect a long career as it is a bit on the short side, saying that you could always do it again using different cars, not that I would. The controls are pretty simple 2,4,6,8 or the joystick, and thats it, very simple control.

So now we move onto the 3d version, Im not going to talk about what modes you can play, what cars you can play with, or what career mode is like because Ill just be repeating myself.
    Obviously the graphics will be vastly different to the 2d version, but is that a good or bad thing?
    Well I think its a bad thing and Outlaw agrees, the main reason being, it just doesnt look as nice, the cars at times look box-like, and honestly the detail suffers for it, but at least theres a lot more detail in the race track which makes the races much more fun, you can even flip your car, which really is what these games are about good ofun. In the 3d version the races will involve quite a bit of drifting if you want to do any good during the race, as it helps build your boost or NOS and it earns you money in the process, Outlaw feels that the in the 2d version the drifting is more fun and easy, and when you press the NOS button you get a much depper sensation of speed. The audio is better than in the 2d version, but it has its flaws, it loops, which again is rather annoying.
    In all this is a good game, and is much more exciting than the 2d version.

Conclusion

In conclusion, I would say that the 3d version is better, Outlaw says the 2d, I agreed with him at first, but I got bored with the 2d graphics and gameplay, the 3d version offers much more in the way of gameplay and experience. Ok so both arent the most original, but what they offer is a good bit of fun, although a bit short.

Screenshots

2d:

Graphics: 6/10
    Nice, but boring

Sound:
    2/10
    Annoying music, one sound effect

Game play:
    5/10
    Simple controls, gets boring after a while

Story:
    0/10
    There isn't one really.

Overall Score: 5 out of 10

3d:

Graphics: 6.5/10
    Nice, lacking some detail, makes the game a bit more fun

Sound:
    4/10
    The constant looping gets annoying

Game play:
    7/10
    Simple controls, Drifting is fun

Story:
    0/10
    There isn't one.

Overall Score: 7 out of 10
    bronze.gif
    Last edited by EvilSpaghetti; 06-10-2010 at 11:10 AM.

great review again songbird

3. Default

Keep those coming. I love them

4. Default

Superb review!

when will next one be done, i really enjoy read your reviews

6. Default

hang on lol

i've only just finshed this one

i really do enjoy read, when you get title above name?

Another great review Aaron/Outlaw - well done!

Quote Originally Posted by Mr-lightman Log in to see links
    when you get title above name?
    It's on the way!

9. Default

[QUOTE=Mark;46789]Another great review Aaron/Outlaw - well done!/QUOTE]

thanks mark

Very good review!Well done!!!