Page 23 of 203 FirstFirst ... 1321222324253373123 ... LastLast
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Noxide Log in to see links
    You have to get onto his back to stab him in the eye.
    Attack him till he falls, then get onto his back.
    sorry i dint get u?
    every time i jump from the ledge to hit his eyes..i land on his shoulder(hit it).
    then he picks me up and throws me down

You have to do it at a certain time. Like when you do a silent kill.

3. Default

You have to do it at a certain time. Like when you do a silent kill.
    ya every time i do the same(silent kill)..and on the screen it displays 'u dint time it right'

Quote Originally Posted by allstar9 Log in to see links
    ya every time i do the same(silent kill)..and on the screen it displays 'u dint time it right'
    That probably means you didn't time it right...
    It takes a while to get it.

5. Default

That probably means you didn't time it right...
    It takes a while to get it.
    ya but is der any other trick?
    i have tried a million times but the same thing happens..

Not that I know of. That's the way I did it. Sorry dude.

Try searching a walkthrough of the game.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Log in to see links
    ok..thanks
    i will try for it.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Log in to see links
    thanks a lot for ur advise outlaw...
    it worked.

10. Default

Heroes of Might & Magic V
    Nival takes the reins in this latest installment in this turn-based strategy series.

May 26, 2006 - A lot of strategy fans were understandably upset over rumors of Heroes of Might and Magic's death. With the closure of New World Computing and 3DO, it seemed that the celebrated franchise had gone the way of other turn-based fantasy series. Happily, Ubisoft rescued the franchise and handed the reins over to strategy vets Nival Interactive. Now, just over a year after it was announced, gamers can finally get their hands on Heroes of Might and Magic V.

Fans of the series will notice that Nival has played it very safe with this sequel. There are some notable improvements and additions, but overall the game feels very much like an updated version of any of the other titles in the franchise. While that might not be a bad thing for most gamers, those who have seen some of Nival's unique ideas in Blitzkrieg, Etherlords and Silent Storm might be wondering why Heroes V feels so familiar.

The basics are completely unchanged. You'll still lead heroes and armies across a variety of fantasy-friendly environments. Exploring the land around you, building massive armies, battling it out with your enemies, and strengthening your own cities have always been the cornerstones of play in Heroes of Might and Magic and this fifth version is no different.

The one thing that this fifth version has that the others didn't is a first rate 3D graphics engine. Personally, I really loved the city designs. While there might not be much practical benefit to it, being able to spin the camera around and get a look at all those buildings you've constructed really helps to bring the game to life. I also really liked the overland map. There's just so much detail to see in every little corner of the world, that you could easily get lost in the environments. Simple mouse-driven camera controls give you the freedom to appreciate the game at whatever level you desire.

Character design is also very impressive, particularly when you consider that the designers had to create over a hundred different types of units. Each has its own style and unique animations. Though the fighting animations aren't matched up any better than they were in Rome: Total War, they definitely get the point across. My only complaint is that the demons all look pretty much the same, so it can be hard to tell them apart when you're fighting.

The only real disappointment in terms of graphics are the battlefields themselves. Sure, it's nice to see the area around the battlefield actually reflects its position on the overland map -- spotting an important lumber mill in the distance definitely helps to give the battle a sense of place -- but the textures and layout of the field itself leaves a lot to be desired. With the new 3D engine, there's a lot more that could be done to make the battlefields more interesting. As it is, the only tactical obstacles you'll find are things like logs and rocks. It's just too clumsy and it feels more like you're playing a tile-based PC game than leading a real army.

Like previous Heroes games, Heroes V puts you in charge of one of a number of fantasy civilizations -- undead, sylvan, knights, demons, etc. Though they all live by the same rules and rely on the same sorts of strategies, the races are differentiated by a few unique abilities and a wide array of special units. An army of elves, treants and unicorns won't play the same as an army of wights, zombies and ghosts.
    Unfortunately, each side can only produce a number of types of units equal to the number of slots in their armies, which means that armies are judged more by numbers than composition. When you consider that the towns don't require the "either/or" specializations from the previous game, the question of what to put in your army is something the player never really has a chance to consider. To be fair, you'll need to determine which of those units to build and upgrade first but, by the end of each mission, you'll pretty much be locked into the designer's armies rather than your own.

Combat still plays out on a tile-based map, with the units alternating attacks. Heroes V retains the cool counterattacks that made fighting a little less secure than it was in the early versions of the game. The AI puts up quite a challenge here, playing for position and concentrating on the bigger threats first. Still, the biggest challenge the AI can throw against you is still having a bigger army.

One neat new addition in combat is the initiative bar. Rather than guessing the sequence of attacks as you did in previous installments, you can now see the order in which units will act. This can be a big help in helping you prioritize your attacks by letting you focus your efforts on those enemies who pose the most immediate threat or by letting you launch delayed attacks against enemies who you're sure aren't going to be moving any time soon. The way morale works now also has an impact on initiative. Rather than simply granting units an extra attack, high morale will instead just get units back in the initiative order sooner than usual. It makes for a much more exciting, much more fluid battle.

The initiative bar does have a few small presentation problems. First, it doesn't always update as quickly as new units become active. The last unit to act tends to linger in the bar after its turn has passed. You'll also notice that the damage done to a unit is displayed on the initiative bar before the animation plays out on the battlefield. These are admittedly minor details here but they can be distracting.

I may have been one of the only people who actually liked that heroes were real units on the battlefield in Heroes IV. Heroes V removes them from the danger of combat, putting them in the back row where they can launch attacks and cast spells without ever actually being threatened by the enemy. Sure, it means you can't send all your units to gang up on a hero at the start of a battle, but it also means that the heroes feel more like special abilities than actual fighters.

Heroes IV also limited the number of heroes you could take from one mission to the next, a concept that the sequel takes to the extreme. Don't get too attached to any hired heroes this time around because it's a sure bet that they won't be going with you once you move to the next mission. While it helps balance the game and preserve some narrative continuity, it also gives you the sense that you're not really in charge of the story.

Luckily, you are in charge of your heroes' development. There are tons of new hero abilities this time around, from standing bonuses to your entire army, to more specialized abilities that you'll have to call on as you need them. Rangers can now declare racial enemies, for instance, which gives them a bit more of an advantage when facing off against them. Knights can now elect to counterattack any enemy that damages a particular unit. Many of the abilities build on others, allowing you to create heroes that are even more unique than those offered by the hybrid class system of the previous game. Nevertheless, I still found myself missing my beastmasters. Oh, well.
    The game's manual only explains the basic mechanics of the game, leaving you to puzzle through much of the new stuff on your own. While some might find that the lack of information contributes to the sense of wonder and mystery in the game, manuals in past versions have seemed more than happy to offer up endless lists of abilities and monsters. Just be warned that you're left on your own as far as this type of information goes.

In fact, the text in the game is sometimes so confusing that you'll be totally lost. Happily, you can overlook some of the indecipherable phrases but when you're presented with instructions to "get in time on the place of the battle" you'll definitely have to take a minute to figure out just what the hell the game is asking you to do. (At the risk of adding to the confusion, it merely means, "wait until the two AI players fight it out and then the mission will end.")

Heroes V ships with a very sizable single player campaign. Told across six different chapters of five missions each, the campaign lets you take charge of the various races in the game in turn. Thirty missions might not sound like a whole lot to fans of the series but a single one of these missions can easily fill up a few hours, particularly if you're a very thorough player. The story itself isn't all that hot but it's enough to get the party started, leaving you to focus on the strategic concerns before you.

Once you move past the campaign, the game doesn't seem quite so meaty. There's a handful of additional scenarios and several multiplayer maps (which you can play against AI opponents), but there's no map editor and no map generator. There are plans to add this stuff later on but the content found in the retail release seems a bit skimpy compared to the other titles in the series.

Copied from IGN as you can see...