Page 57 of 203 FirstFirst ... 747555657585967107157 ... LastLast
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Noxide Log in to see links
    The term "overkill" is non-existent when it comes to graphics....
    I'm a sucker for a graphically beautiful game.
    (Aren't we all)

I would think so

well I am anyway

2. Default

The term "overkill" is non-existent when it comes to graphics....
    I'm a sucker for a graphically beautiful game.
    (Aren't we all)
    Aren't we all?
    The thing is, it's already a HD card so will you really see any difference connecting 2 together?

Unless I connect my 42" LCD to the PC...
    The boss at home might not like that though

Quote Originally Posted by Hell97 Log in to see links
    Are there any details available for the next elder scrolls game? p.s. Fallout 3 is gonna be awesome. Bethesda rocks
    I'll check to see if I can find something on the Elder Scrolls.
    I'm awaiting Fallout 3 with bated breath.

Quote Originally Posted by DipShyt Log in to see links
    Aren't we all?
    The thing is, it's already a HD card so will you really see any difference connecting 2 together?

Unless I connect my 42" LCD to the PC...
    The boss at home might not like that though
    It won't make a difference to the HD, but it will take a lot (if not all) of the pressure off the CPU.

4. Default

It won't make a difference to the HD, but it will take a lot (if not all) of the pressure off the CPU.
    I think even one will make life a breeze for a CPU...

Smile

Thank you

And I think I'll stick to the ATI:

Believe it or not - the best just got better. For the first time ever, 2.4 teraFLOPS of graphics horse power, 1600 stream processors and 2 GB of GDDR5 memory have been combined to create the fastest and most powerful graphics card available today. The Sapphire HD 4870 X2 comprises two complete HD 4870 graphics systems on a single PCI-Express card connected by an on-board PCI Express Gen 2 bridge chip. Each GPU has 1GB of GDDR5 memory, making a total of 2GB on-board memory. Two Dual Link DVI outputs are provided as well as TV-Out. 3D applications such as games use both on-board GPU’s together in CrossFire mode to deliver a single accelerated output on the Primary display only. In this mode, the new SAPPHIRE HD 4870 X2 delivers performance as good or better than two HD 4870 cards in CrossFire mode, making it the fastest performing single card available.

The Sapphire HD 4870 X2 is implemented on a single ATX format PCI-Express card, with a fan assisted cooler making it a standard dual-slot configuration. This solution will have immediate appeal to performance users with only a single PCI-Express slot available. On a suitable PCI Express Gen 2.0 CrossFireX mainboard it is also possible to use two SAPPHIRE HD 4870 X2 cards in CrossFireX mode to provide even higher levels of performance.

The Sapphire HD 4870 X2 incorporates the latest ATI Avivo™ HD Technology for enhanced Video display and features a second generation built in UVD (Unified Video decoder) for the hardware accelerated decoding of Blu-ray™ and HD DVD content for both VC-1 and H.264 codecs, as well as mpeg files, reducing CPU loading to a minimum.
    Well you will not have a PC anymore,you will have an atomic central,btw the new octo processors will appear next year.
    Last edited by Outlaw; 20-08-2008 at 09:40 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Outlaw Log in to see links
    Well you will not have a PC anymore,you will have an atomic central,btw the new octo processors will appear next year.
    I'm waiting for Intel's Nehalem processor...
    Last edited by Noxide; 20-08-2008 at 09:56 AM.

Intel’s upcoming Core i7 processors will feature a turbo mode, as announced on Day 1 of IDF. Although not quite like the retro turbo mode button found on computers of the late 1980’s, the turbo mode on Core i7 will still result in increased single threaded performance. The technology is based on the idea of dynamically increasing the frequency of the CPU when not all the cores Log in to see links are in use, archiving higher single threaded performance when that is all that is required.

The technology is aided by the improved power management features found on Nehalem Log in to see links) also announced at IDF. The Integrated Power Gate technology will shut off idle cores, reducing their voltage to zero, rather than just lowering the power provided to them. Not having as many cores on using power and producing heat, will allow other cores to use more power, increasing the performance of those cores, while still not exceeding the maximum TDP of the processor.

In the following scenario for example, if you are using a Core i7 with 4 cores, and the game you are using uses only a single core, the other three cores will turn off, reducing the heat produced by your processor, allowing the only running core to be automatically overclocked for higher performance. This new technology may be a compelling reason for many to no longer choose the faster clocked dual core processor over the slower quad core, as the quad core could offer now equal single threaded performance at the same price.

Exactly what type of improvement is expected form this turbo mode is yet to be seen, but early leaked demonstrations show at least a single stepping of improvement, 22 to 23 for example. What this Turbo Mode means for overclockers is also yet to be seen also. Some are saying overclocking on Nehalem will be very difficult if Intel so chooses to make it so however. Leaked information also indicates that production CPUs will self Log in to see links overclock by up to two speed bins — for example jumping from 3 GHz to 3.2 GHz or even 3.4 GHz.

With this kind of headroom, it will be interesting to see how far enthusiasts will be able to push Core i7 processors. Even Intel indicated to us in June that Core i7 silicon is extremely healthy. Our own tests revealed that Core i7 processors will have considerable amount of headroom in terms of clock speeds.

For those who remember, the original "turbo button" found on many PCs back in the day, was there not actually to speed up the CPU, but actually to slow it down. When activated, the CPU actually ran at full speed. With the turbo button switched off, the CPU would be underclocked to allow certain legacy applications to run at "normal" speeds instead of "too fast."

Harakiri.jpg

9. Default

Default Top 5 Best Selling Games

5. Grand Theft Auto
    Units sold: Series has sold 89 million
    Defining game: GTA III (PS2/PC)
    Throw your hands in the air and wave them like you're being robbed, because Rockstar's gangsta paradise has jacked its way onto the list. That's quite a move for a series that didn't see its initial blast of blockbuster success until 2001's seminal Grand Theft Auto III. Every subsequent release has been a major, major deal, due in equal parts to continued design brilliance and buckets of unintentionally promotional backlash. But whether you hate to love it or love to hate it (or, like us, just love to love it), you can't deny GTA's power over the people. Some claim GTA 3 and to an extent Vice City that followed it, has redefined gaming forever.
    Trivial Trivia: The original Grand Theft Auto PC game takes place in three different cities: Liberty City, Vice City and San Andreas.

4. Final Fantasy
    Units sold: Series has sold 91 million
    Defining game: Final Fantasy VII (PSOne) In 1987, a fledgling Japanese game development studio desperate for a hit poured all its resources into their last ditch-effort, a role-playing game given the exhausted title, Final Fantasy. The studio was Square, and the series isn't remotely close to being over. Roughly 30 games bearing the Final Fantasy moniker have been released worldwide, a feat made even more amazing considering that most are stand-alone affairs set in totally new worlds with little to no relationship with other games in the series. Despite the disconnected plots, gamers can't get enough of the franchise's trademark combat systems, stellar production values, mystifying melodramas and, of course, those weird, adorable Chocobos.
    Trivial Trivia: Final Fantasy XI is considered to be the first console game to have received a downloadable patch.

3. The Sims
    Units sold: Series has sold 99 million
    Defining game: The Sims (PC)
    When legendary sim game designer Will Wright first announced his digital dollhouse The Sims, we were all a bit skeptical. Who in their right mind would want to distract themselves from their daily routine by playing a game based on their daily routine? The answer is approximately all of us. The original Sims was a crossover sensation, simultaneously appealing to both seasoned gamers looking for a brand new experience and uninitiated newbies itching to play house and practice social politicking. The formula works; powered by a steady stream of expansions, The Sims franchise maintains a firm grip on monthly PC sales charts to this day.
    Trivial Trivia: The original The Sims is the best-selling PC game of all time.

2. Pokemon
    Units sold: Series has sold 164 million
    Defining game: Pokemon Red/Blue (Game Boy) Well, folks, you were instructed to catch 'em all, and you nearly did. Second only to big brother Mario, the Pokemon games have clawed, scratched and merchandized their way into the hearts and wallets of families all over the world. The Poke-phenomenon began in 1996 with the simultaneous release of two linkable Game Boy games, introducing hordes of impressionable young gamers to the holy handheld trinity of collecting, training and battling digital beasts. Thrilled with the overnight success of its devious concoction, Nintendo quickly opened the media floodgates by spinning it off into an anime series, a trading card game and a variety of feature films. A decade later, the games remain Pokemon's meat and potatoes.
    Trivial Trivia: In 1997, over 600 Japanese children suffered seizures while watching an episode of Pokemon called "Electric Soldier Porygon." It hasn't aired since.

1. Mario
    Units sold: Series has sold 205 million
    Defining game: Super Mario Bros. (NES)
    Over his illustrious 25-year career, the world's most famous plumber has also become its most successful. Starting with 1983's Joust knock-off Mario Bros., a Mario game has graced every Nintendo console system ever released, from the classic NES to the not-so-classic Virtual Boy. A true Renaissance man, he's had more hits than The Beatles, spawning entire genres (Mario Kart, Super Mario 64) and reinventing old ones (Super Paper Mario). Along the way, his incessant quest for coins has been immensely profitable, grossing Nintendo in upwards of $8 billion.
    Trivial Trivia: Mario was named after real-life Nintendo of America office landlord Mario Segale.