Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail
    Mobile Game Review

Title:
    Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail
    Developer: The Mighty Troglodytes
    Publisher: Vivendi Games Mobile
    Release Date: March 2007
    Format: J2ME
    Game Features: Sound, Help, Save Option, High score, Suspend/Resume.
    Reviewed on: Nokia 5300 & Nokia 5200

Summary

Based on the 1996 Pc version, Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail hits the small screen. Those who have played Larry games in the past will know that Larry is a middle aged geek, nerd, whatever you want to call him, he isnt exactly cool. In this game you find yourself playing as Larry Laffer, who is going bold and isnt doing all too well at his job, in fact Larry is on his last chance before he gets fired from his job as a video game designer and is sent to an overseas conference to brush up his skills.

Review

Ive never played the mobile version, to be honest I dont have much hope for this game, I didnt like Larry Beach Volley Ball, but this isnt volley ball, this is an adventure/rpg, so lets see how it plays
    First impressions of the game, well the first thing that hits me about the game are the graphics, which may I say are very nice, cartoon styled with vivid colours.
    The music is your simple Midi track, nothing special but its nice and clear, but after a few minutes it gets a bit repetitive and well annoying, but theres always the mute option.
    All in all it looks quite promising; then again I havent started playing yet.
    Sorry but the music is getting on my nerves now, I know what Im pressing.

Ok so Ive just been told the reason behind the game (I dont want to give too much away) and have been taken into a tutorial which is the first chapter of the game.
    I really dont like tutorials, but if it helps with the game then it must be done.
    So the controls seem simple enough, not too complicated, like with most mobiles games, you have the choice of the keypad or joystick to control Larry, the left soft key brings up the menu.
    Actually the tutorial really does help with getting to know the game, although tad on the boring side.

Ahh finally finished the tutorial; I hope the rest of the game isnt like it. I mean it isnt bad, but it isnt exactly fun.
    Im not going to talk about the whole game, otherwise this will be a very long review, in fact it wouldnt be a review, it would be a walkthrough and I dont want to spoil it for anyone, so Ill play the game until I finish it and tell you what I think.

So Ive played and finished the game, in just under 4 hours, which for a mobile game isnt bad, the game might be shorter than that, but Ive been writing notes.
    I have to say I quite enjoyed playing the game; its what I would call old-skool, what Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail is, is an average adventure game, filled with puzzles, characters, cheesy chat-up lines (not all are that funny) and comical situations.
    Most of the situations are a bit repetitive, use this item here, talk to a certain person, and go here, but the concept of the game works to a point.
    The story isnt bad, it is a bit predictable, but it has humour, which I think helps the game, because there is a lot of dialogue, I would say 15% of the game you will be reading, but you dont need to read it all, most of it is Larry using chat-up lines to try and woo the ladies. One thing I did notice with the dialogue is spelling, there are mistakes, the same with some grammar, but most people wont notice it, I was looking very carefully, trying to spot mistakes.

Conclusion

Overall I would say Leisure Suit Larry: Love for Sail is a game for playing on the bus or train. I really like the cartoon-esque graphics; they work well. The music, is really rather annoying, I tell you 2 minutes of listening to it, you will go mad!
    The controls are easy enough to get used to '2', '4', '6', '8' and the '5' key or the joystick.
    I wouldnt recommend the game to a younger gamer, because it is a game with adult humour and sexual references, but nothing beyond well you know what.
    Honesty its a decent game, it has its flaws and its fairly limited in what you can do, youll either love it or hate it, I would have liked it more if it was a bit more of a challenge, this could have been a great game, if they had just spent a little bit more time developing it. I think Ill stick to the PC version.

Screenshots

Graphics: 8/10
    Really very nice, They dont really differ between the two hand sets.

Sound:
    2/10
    Annoying music, no sound effects

Game play:
    6/10
    Good at some points, repetitive in others, easy controls.

Story:
    5/10
    It works I guess

Overall Score: 6.5 out of 10
    Last edited by EvilSpaghetti; 11-06-2008 at 04:10 PM. Reason: replace images

i enjoy read very much

Thumbs up

Excellent review!! Thanks!

4. Default

Coooooool MAN !

5. Thumbs up

funny game

n
    how to get this game?
    thx

Great review!!!
    Good job Songbird

7. Default

aahhmm,can u post that game?i wud lyk to play it.if its ok?

8. Default

games will not be posted here

9. Default

mayb try going to the games section and look??or search for it?

where can i get it?