Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by taikucingg Log in to see links
    my CPU temperature sometimes goes over 80 Celcius, and the +12V voltage is only 4~5 volts
    what is happening to my PC?

Specs:
    Pentium4 2.80 gHz
    BioStar Geforce 9500GT
    MVM 2GB RAM
    2 Harddisk, 1 Optical
    PSU is about 350 Watts (i forgot it, sorry)
    You say that Your PSU's +12V drops down to 4-5V?!
    That shouldn't even be possible , it almost equals a short circuit and Your PSU should shut down!

It looks like You have a faulty/damaged or overloaded PSU , if so it might cause serious damage to other components as well.
    Usually the motherboard gets damaged by faulty PSU's as it is directly connected to the PSU and most electrical deployment is regulated by the motherboard.

As for the CPU's high temperature , what kind of CPU is it?
    You can use Log in to see links to find out if You don't know. Log in to see links and prior are single executable files , no installation needed.
    Possibilities:
    -if the PSU is faulty , the extreme drop of Voltage output might cause unexpected heat buildup as the components due to the lack of sufficient Voltage try to keep running by pulling more Watts from the PSU. More Watts flowing causes more heat being generated and the PSU gets overloaded even more resulting in further Voltage drop.
    SOMETHING LIKE THAT , I'm not an electrician so I might be wrong.

-if the PSU is NOT faulty then Your CPU might experience heat-buildup due to aged thermal grease.
    Even worse if Your CPU's cooler got the original Intel "stuff" on it - surely better than air/nothing , but that stuff is just wrong!
    The solution would be to take of the CPU's cooler , clean neatly both cooler and CPU , spread a THIN layer of Silicon or Silver thermal grease on both and put it back together.
    This certainly requires some do-it-yourself knowledge and if You think You CAN'T do it then DON'T - find someone to do it for You.

The later does not explain , nor can it be the cause of the enormous Voltage drop of Your PSU though.

A new PSU does not cost much , if there is a chance that it is damaged replace it sooner rather than later!

I have seen burnt-out motherboards , GPU's , CPU's and RAM's - these components require properly regulated Voltages and faulty PSU's damage them easily.
    Hard and optical drives usually get spared as they aren't so sensitive.

P.S.: According to NVIDIA that graphic card (Geforce 9500GT) requires a minimal 350W PSU - that means TRUE 350W.
    If You have a power hungry CPU as well then the minimal Wattage must be risen accordingly , otherwise You might encounter system instabilities!
    Last edited by Wilhelm; 11-07-2011 at 02:57 PM.

Wow Wilhelm. That was massively impressive.

I woulda just told him he needs a bigger PSU though...

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Noxide Log in to see links

I don't even know what PSU is.

Quote Originally Posted by Silver Log in to see links
    That would be a Prehistoric Seductive Humanoid.

Er wait no.

Power supply unit

"Why make things simple if You can complicate them" - or something like that

That would be a Prehistoric Seductive Humanoid.

Er wait no.

Power supply unit
    The second thing He said...

Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm Log in to see links
    "Why make things simple if You can complicate them" - or something like that

Because I'm a geek at heart and actually enjoyed reading it, but if I didn't know what you were saying I'd go into a flatspin.

7. Default

You have CS5!!!

Anyway

Run a scan. Note the infected file, boot up in safe mode, run the scan again and delete the file
    Finally just removed it myself. Every antivirus program I ran it would just shut it down. I probably tried over 6 different programs like Avast, McAfee, AVG etc. It was a nightmare.

I have have Photo Shop CS5 Extended, Fireworks CS5 Extended and Adobe Illustrator CS5.

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by SuperFlash1980 Log in to see links
    Finally just removed it myself. Every antivirus program I ran it would just shut it down. I probably tried over 6 different programs like Avast, McAfee, AVG etc. It was a nightmare.

I have have Photo Shop CS5 Extended, Fireworks CS5 Extended and Adobe Illustrator CS5.
    What was causing it?

What does the CS bit even stand for?

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Wilhelm Log in to see links
    You say that Your PSU's +12V drops down to 4-5V?!
    That shouldn't even be possible , it almost equals a short circuit and Your PSU should shut down!

It looks like You have a faulty/damaged or overloaded PSU , if so it might cause serious damage to other components as well.
    Usually the motherboard gets damaged by faulty PSU's as it is directly connected to the PSU and most electrical deployment is regulated by the motherboard.

As for the CPU's high temperature , what kind of CPU is it?
    Intel Pentium 4 @2.8GHz

its a reading error. seen it on aida64.
    BIOS said its 11.80~12.20

Thanks Wilhelm for the tips!

10. Default

What was causing it?

What does the CS bit even stand for?
    Some things called trojan droppers.

The CS stands for Creative Suite.