Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Exclamation Sri Lankan Parliamentary Election - 2010

Source - Wikipedia (Log in to see links)

Sri Lankan Parliamentary Election - 2010

This map shows the winners of the polling divisions. By examining this, you will clearly see how the opposition was crushed.

Overall Summary of Results:

(UPFA) United People's Freedom Alliance
    - 144 seats in Parliament

(UNF) United National Front
    - 60 seats in Parliament

(DNA) Democratic National Alliance - 7 seats in Parliament

(TNA) Tamil National Alliance
    - 14 seats in Parliament

Total Seats - 225

Total Polled - 8,630,689

Turnout - 61.26%

Notes:

1). The turnout of the 2010 Presidential Election was 74.50%. If the people were satisfied with the president & his rule (As well as his conduct after the election) for 3 months (from January to April) this percentage should have gone UP, Not DOWN! This clearly show that many have lost their faith in the government & the president in just 3 months!
    Last edited by KidRapper; 14-05-2010 at 07:47 AM.
    Keep Rocking, Game On.....
    Lord Buddha's Way Is The Path To Freedom, Enlightenment & Bliss...

My Blog: http://thechroniclesofaki.wordpress.com

I tought president was pressurized by tigers earlier but i was wrong i guess

Quote Originally Posted by Cyclonus Log in to see links
    I tought president was pressurized by tigers earlier but i was wrong i guess
    Well, sort of bro. There was pressure for everyone, with the bomb threats, assassination attempts, etc. I mean, he did the stuff to kick the tigers outta our country for good. But he dragged it for long just to fill upon his pockets! & thats the truth.

& look what he did to the commander (General Fonseka) who won the war & almost got close to getting killed several times.! Is that the way to treat the man who played a major rile in wiping terrorism from our country??

4. Default

There is no such crisis in Sri Lanka. Kidnapper has either personal problems with president or he is a UNP or JVP supporter.UNP win only 6O seats in recently held general election(lanka has of 225 seats) whileJVP got only 7. So anyone can see those parties have thrown away by majority. As a Sri Lankan we know to whom we voted.It is not a secret that all people who knew the truth and who loved this precious island voted to M.Rajapaksha. There was neither violence nor descrimination in election.In Presidental Election 2010 M.Rajapaksha won by a vote margin of 2 million in a country where is only 20 million people. As talk about FONSEKA he is a traitor who gave away his own army .When army is facing to decisive battles he is traveling abroad.It is not a secret that he is responsible for unsuccesful offensive against the LTTE in Muhamalai forward defensive line in Jaffna penisula (in that operation army had heavy cassulties)He is the person who wants only his own prosperity.He considered Lanka as his jackpot where these ignorants believe he as the war hero. But his hope shatterd.But even a traitor had given the freedom to appear Election and win a parliment sea.JVP also destructed because of SF.Today we know his HAREM ,HOW FORMER SLA COMMANDER USED HIS OFFICIAL POWER TO PLEASE HIS DESIRE,HOW HE GAVE PERSONAL QUARTERS FOR HIS LOVERS(female soldiers) WHO WAS TO BE PUNISHED FOR VIOLATING MILLITERY RULES BUT LATER RELESED BY FONREKA FOR HIS HAREEM, HOW GENERAL FONSEKA AND HIS SON AND LAW GOT LARGE COMMISIONS BY ARM DEALS. Anyone who doubts above facts please go to ASIANTRIBUNE.COM for confirmation.asiantribune is a non govermantal and international news agency.Anyone visit above website can see how many filthy deeds former general deposited to his account.
    Anyway guys who reads this thread I'm sorry about my poor english.But i want to emphesize that There is NO CRSISS in Sri Lanka. You can see SL economy is booming.SL share market index continuously rising,economic growth rate gradually increasing,No bombs ,nomore child soldiers Sri Lanka is going towards the prosperity.But we have problems.Major one is global LTTE is making political and propaganda war aginst Sri Lanka.So BEWARE there is tigers wearing sheep skin.Don't get lost in pro LTTE propagandas.We gained peace now we has to keep it here long.We ,majority elected president and goverment .It's shame that some cutthroats (i don't mean kidnapper) trying to pretends that president is not elected by true majority of votes. I'm not a follower any political party,but as a Sri Lanka citizen I vote against SF ,a traitor can't be given presidency of a country of 20 million person. Guys don't you think as a citizen of a some country that before someone think what country had done to him he should think WHAT HE HAD DONE TO COUNTRY!

Quote Originally Posted by lchathuranga Log in to see links
    There is no such crisis in Sri Lanka. Kidnapper has either personal problems with president or he is a UNP or JVP supporter.UNP win only 6O seats in recently held general election(lanka has of 225 seats) whileJVP got only 7. So anyone can see those parties have thrown away by majority. As a Sri Lankan we know to whom we voted.It is not a secret that all people who knew the truth and who loved this precious island voted to M.Rajapaksha. There was neither violence nor descrimination in election.In Presidental Election 2010 M.Rajapaksha won by a vote margin of 2 million in a country where is only 20 million people. As talk about FONSEKA he is a traitor who gave away his own army .When army is facing to decisive battles he is traveling abroad.It is not a secret that he is responsible for unsuccesful offensive against the LTTE in Muhamalai forward defensive line in Jaffna penisula (in that operation army had heavy cassulties)He is the person who wants only his own prosperity.He considered Lanka as his jackpot where these ignorants believe he as the war hero. But his hope shatterd.But even a traitor had given the freedom to appear Election and win a parliment sea.JVP also destructed because of SF.Today we know his HAREM ,HOW FORMER SLA COMMANDER USED HIS OFFICIAL POWER TO PLEASE HIS DESIRE,HOW HE GAVE PERSONAL QUARTERS FOR HIS LOVERS(female soldiers) WHO WAS TO BE PUNISHED FOR VIOLATING MILLITERY RULES BUT LATER RELESED BY FONREKA FOR HIS HAREEM, HOW GENERAL FONSEKA AND HIS SON AND LAW GOT LARGE COMMISIONS BY ARM DEALS. Anyone who doubts above facts please go to ASIANTRIBUNE.COM for confirmation.asiantribune is a non govermantal and international news agency.Anyone visit above website can see how many filthy deeds former general deposited to his account.
    Anyway guys who reads this thread I'm sorry about my poor english.But i want to emphesize that There is NO CRSISS in Sri Lanka. You can see SL economy is booming.SL share market index continuously rising,economic growth rate gradually increasing,No bombs ,nomore child soldiers Sri Lanka is going towards the prosperity.But we have problems.Major one is global LTTE is making political and propaganda war aginst Sri Lanka.So BEWARE there is tigers wearing sheep skin.Don't get lost in pro LTTE propagandas.We gained peace now we has to keep it here long.We ,majority elected president and goverment .It's shame that some cutthroats (i don't mean kidnapper) trying to pretends that president is not elected by true majority of votes. I'm not a follower any political party,but as a Sri Lanka citizen I vote against SF ,a traitor can't be given presidency of a country of 20 million person. Guys don't you think as a citizen of a some country that before someone think what country had done to him he should think WHAT HE HAD DONE TO COUNTRY!
    First of all lchathuranga, whoever you are, I'm using the Alias KidRapper. NOT KidNAPPER! OK?

Next, let me explain something to you. I'm not a JVP or UNP supporter, ok? I AM NEUTRAL! BUT I did advice people to vote for the Opposition during all the elections. (I even posted a banner in my profile asking people to do so.) I did that because I know the government is doing something wrong. & no matter what you say, many people know that Rajapaksha IS NOT the rightful president! He cheated. People can prove it. Respectable lawyers who are NOT under the payroll of the President ARE WILLING to prove it!

You wholeheartedly started blaming General Fonseka calling him a traitor! IF HE IS A TRAITOR THEN WHO THE HECK WON THE WAR? WHO DROVE THE BOYS OF OUR ARMY ONWARDS, GIVING THEM STRENGTH & COURAGE?? WHO SPILLED HIS BLOOD & GUTS ALL OVER THE ROAD 2 TIMES AFTER BEING ATTACKED BY LTTE SUICIDE BOMBERS & CARRIED THEM IN HIS ARMS WHILE HE WAS TAKEN TO THE HOSPITAL?

& Tell me, then why was he asked to join the Government straight after the war ended by Basil & the President? Why did they want to give him a office for the Mathara district? IS THAT BECAUSE HE IS A TRAITOR?

Answer these questions lchathuranga. Why should i post all these news on M24 if I'm just a simple UNP or JVP supporter? Why should I take permission from the admins? Why? Because I want the whole world to know the truth! You just blabber all of these about General Fonseka having a harem & his son-in law being a thief. You speak as if he did nothing to end this war! But do you have any proof to support your accusations? Do you?

You are nothing but one of those people who back the Rajapaksa regime just because you THINK that they do all things in favour of this country? & you accuse General Fonseka of all these crimes because that is what the government said through THEIR MEDIA, isn't it? Isn't that what you think? You think this country will become "Asiyawe Ascharyaya" (Wonder of Asia) as the president wanted it to be if things go like this? Is that why mothers are tossing their children into rivers? Is that why the cost of living is going up steadily? I that why there are more robberies & murders each & every day? TELL ME!

Wake up! Why do you always take one side of a situation. Step down from the "Mahinda Rajapaksha is the Almighty King" attitude! & for a second take a look around & examine both sides of the story.

I'm challenging you lchathuranga, Prove that General Fonseka is the one to blame for all those crimes, & I prove that the president did not embezzle millions of cash for him & his family, & he is a saint who did not do anything that I accused him of, & all the things he did was for the good of the country. PROVE IT! I'M CHALLENGING YOU!!

Exclamation

For all the people out there who claims that I am a traitor, I'm not gonna stop posting. Someday, someone will find out about the truth.

& I'm waiting for that day to come. Then, they will all see what I tried to do. & everyone will know. You can't hide the truth for long.

Exclamation

Source - (Lanka-e-News 14.May.2010 9.55PM) Log in to see links

While there is a petition against President, the latter bringing AG Dept. under him is for a deceitful purpose

Experts of the legal circles say , the Attorney General (AG) Dept. and the legal draftsman Dept. being bought under the control of the President create a serious dent in the independence of the Judiciary and the legal foundations.

The Executive Committee of the Sri Lanka Lawyers Association were to take up these issues for discussion at their meeting today (14).

Lal Wijenaike, an Executive member of the Lawyers Association speaking to Lanka e news stated , the AGs Dept has all along been under the Ministry of Justice. This Dept was brought under the purview of the Justice Ministry 125 years ago to ensure its independence. Until the Senate was abolished under the 1972 constitution, the Justice Minister was appointed by the Senate. Except in one instance when Vincent Perera was appointed as a Justice Minister , in all other instances, a senior Lawyer was appointed continuously.

The bringing of the AG dept under the control of the President has aroused suspicion in the political circles; such suspicion is justifiable., Wijenaike added. Specially when there is a petition filed against the President by the main rival and Presidential candidate Gen. Fonseka over the Presidential election, and when the Elections Commissioner has been cited as the first respondent on whose behalf the AGs Dept is appearing, isnt the independence of the judiciary being tampered with and the courts are being subordinated by the President taking control of the AGs Dept.? Wijenaike questioned.

When the political parties are already claiming that the Presidents Executive powers are excessive , and that view is being accepted by all , isnt the President grabbing part of the judiciary too and bringing it under his control is in conflict with those views? he further asked.

It is argued among the legal circles, whether it is not unfair to have the AG's Dept under the President when in the case filed by the police against Presidents rival candidate Gen. Fonseka, it is the AG Dept. under the Presidents control that is prosecuting him?

Media and information Minister Keheliya Rambukwella when speaking at a media briefing at the Govt. media center yesterday (13) had said , the President controlling the Attorney General Dept. will not in any way militate against the independence of the judiciary, adding that there is nothing wrong in bringing the AG Dept. which provides the President , the country s chief Executive with the necessary legal advice, under him.

Meanwhile, it is reported that a bigwig of the Defense Ministry has recently summoned the Dep. Solicitor General of the AGs Dept. and his given certain instructions which fall outside the AGs Dept . traditions and practices. The Dep. Solicitor General has raised his objections and opposed them, whereupon this bigwig who enjoys the State political patronage has abused the former .

Exclamation

Quote Originally Posted by lchathuranga Log in to see links
    Today we know his HAREM ,HOW FORMER SLA COMMANDER USED HIS OFFICIAL POWER TO PLEASE HIS DESIRE,HOW HE GAVE PERSONAL QUARTERS FOR HIS LOVERS(female soldiers) WHO WAS TO BE PUNISHED FOR VIOLATING MILLITERY RULES BUT LATER RELESED BY FONREKA FOR HIS HAREEM, HOW GENERAL FONSEKA AND HIS SON AND LAW GOT LARGE COMMISIONS BY ARM DEALS. Anyone who doubts above facts please go to ASIANTRIBUNE.COM for confirmation.asiantribune is a non govermantal and international news agency.Anyone visit above website can see how many filthy deeds former general deposited to his account.
    Oh yeah? Is that so? then what about this?

Source - (BLITZ - February 28, 2010) Log in to see links

Dubious Asian Tribune website and its editor

by Mizanur Rahman
    February 28, 2010

Asian Tribune, a website pretending to be a newspaper, claims to have started in Thailand [House No: 8/6, Muban Amoronpan Nakorn, Sukapibal Road 2, Suan Siam, Bangok 10230, Thailand], nine years back. This website is owned by a Sri Lankan Tamil politician, K T Rajasingham, who claims in that website to have been forced to leave his country after LTTE raised its head and systematically targeted him. Later K T Rajasinghham went to Sweden [Karl Wahrens Vag 22 B, 73 34 Hallstavik, Sweden] and continuing to run this web site under the banner of World Institute for Asian Studies [WIAS]. Mr. Rajasinghham a former journalist turned politician and according to Sri Lankan press, he was on permanent payroll of Sri Lankan intelligence agency.

In another website of World Institute for Asian Studies, it is written: "The World Institute for Asian Studies is a non-profit, non-governmental international organization aimed at bringing academics, scholars, holders of public office, researchers, analysts and media personnel of the First World and the Asian Region to an ongoing dialogue that would inform each other of the developing issues that are likely to impact globally and regionally.

"The Association will target misunderstandings and misperceptions that would confuse or misdirect non-Asians about the cultural, political, economic and social complexities of the Asian Region.

"The Association intends to bring together, promote and protect the diverse, cultural, religious, social and political forces in the Asian region within democratic frameworks that respect the rule of law, human rights, transparency, accountability and good governance.

"The Association strongly believes that democratization and modernization of the Asian nations, big and small, rich and poor, within parameters of acceptable tradition, are vital for universal peace, stability and prosperity.

"The Association will be rooted in the Asian traditions that respect human values, humanitarian laws and pluralism leading to peaceful co-existence of diverse communities in the region."

This website is nothing but a one-man-show of K T Rajasinghham. If someone will press the 'Research Activities', 'Upcoming events and news', 'Resources', 'Publications', 'Mission Report', 'Conferences', 'E-Updates' etc keys in the site, it will show that there is no information available on any of such items. It shows that, this so-called institute is nothing but a fraudulent venture of K T Rajasinghham, who also exclusively owns another website named Asian Tribune.

Sachi Sri Kantha, a senior political analyst and scholar in Sri Lanka, who's maternal grandmother and Mr.Rajasingham's mother are siblings commenting on K T Rajasinghham said, "His talents [both genuine and shameful varieties] are known in our families and are open secrets in Point Pedro. Though he is estranged from me now, I would provide the readers with a little information which is on public record and which would throw some insights on the personality of Mr. Rajasingham.

The 1977 General election result for the Point Pedro constituency was eagerly waited at our then household in Colombo on July 21st of that year. The results announced were as follows: K. Thurairatnam [TULF] 12,989 votes; N. Nadarajah [Independent] 6,419 votes; M. P. Veeravagu [Independent] 3,065 votes and K. T. Rajasingham [Independent] 614 votes. The winner of that election was Federal Party stalwart K. Thurairatnam. K T Rajasingham lost that election pretty badly and quite a number of our relatives in Point Pedro did not support his candidacy. What was worse is the fact that Rajasingham, for the previous seven years or so [from 1970-1977; during the Alfred Duraiappah period] was functioning openly as the SLFP organizer for Point Pedro. Even though he was functioning as the SLFP organizer for years, at the 1977 general election he contested as an Independent!

"K T Rajasingham in brief, is a failed Tamil politician. In the 1970s, he chased his political rainbow with the SLFP and fell flat."

It is reported in various sites that K T Rajasingham applied for financial support from Sri Lankan government. According to 'Zoomin', "Rajasingham is however far more keen to have his funding proposals for The Asian Tribune implemented. To this end he sends his lengthy proposals which contains glaring falsehoods to Minister Jeyaraj Fernandopulle and the President having discussed it in Geneva."

"According to this proposal the World Institute of Asian Studies which publishes the Asian Tribune is applying for a loan on the basis that it is an online daily that has established its reputation for objective reports and analysis also as the alternate voice of humanity and as the guarantor of freedom and freedom of expression of the people of Asia.

"Mind you even as Rajasingham calls himself the voice of humanity there is already a complaint in the Parliament police post that he gave instructions to assassinate another human being or have him illegally incarcerated."

Sri Lanka's prominent English newspaper The Sunday Leader and its Consultant Editor Sonali Samarasinghe on November 12 sent Letters of Demand through her lawyers in Sri Lanka to K.T. Rajasingham, admittedly a close associate of terrorist Pillayan for defamatory statements made against her by Rajasingham as editor of the Asian Tribune.

It is also reported in websites that editor or Asian Tribune tried to blackmail another newspaper in Sril Lanka named 'The Guardian'. The news titled 'Asian Tribune Editor K.T.Rajasingham attempts to blackmail Sri Lanka Guardian' said: "The acerbic Asian Tribune Editor K. T. Rajasingham reeling under several defamation law suits to be filed against him for over 500 million Dollars and widely regarded as a hate monger dealing in sewer reportage sent a letter to a contributing journalist for this website blackmailing both the journalist and editor of The Sri Lanka Guardian by threatening to sue if an article titled "Government Pandangkarayas playing hell in foreign missions." posted on March 19 is not immediately removed."

".Rajasingham at 10.30 am on March 19 [2008] and before sending the above email telephoned the said journalist and threatened him by using many names including many top government officials. He also uttered several falsehoods about the website and the said journalist. The Sri Lankan Guardian is now in the process of making a complaint to the proper law enforcement authorities regarding the threatening telephone call and the attempt by Rajasingham to use the names of government officials and politicians in the course of the said call in connection with the attempt to intimidate a journalist into submission.

"Rajasingham told journalist Nilantha Ilangamuwa it was only he who could influence and manipulate the government and the Ambassadors and not to play around with him. Shouting at the journalist for over half an hour Rajasingham demanded to know the name and telephone number of the Editor of the Sri Lanka Guardian. This is despite the fact all details are permanently posted on the website and easily available.

"This is just another example of the culture of impunity and the suppression of the media prevailing in this country with a new report calling Sri Lanka the third most dangerous country for journalists after war torn Iraq and violence wracked Pakistan. It is better that the government distance itself from a man of such low caliber like K. T. Rajasingham."

The same K T Rajasingham contacted Weekly Blitz editor back in 2006 pretending to be contacted from Thailand, though by that time he already shifted to Sweden and sought financial support for maintaining the website of Asian Tribune. In various emails, Rajasingham told Weekly Blitz editor that, the Asian Tribune website was supposed to be paid its annual fee, otherwise, as the Asian Tribune editor said, the site was to be discontinued by the server.

Later he came up with the story of selling shares for a internet based radio station ventured by the one-man-show - World Institute for Asian Studies. When the Weekly Blitz editor declined to pay any money for so-called continuation of the Asian Tribune website or buying shares of the dubious internet radio station, the owner of the website named Asian Tribune started campaign against the editor of Weekly Blitz, terming him as a Zionist spy and agent of Israel through numerous articles written by unknown people in the world. It is assumed that, those unknown writers are abetters of K T Rajasingham's blackmailing racket.

It is well established that K T Rajasingham uses his website named Asian Tribune as the tool of blackmailing and extracting money from various individuals and institutions for years. Now, he is operating such notoriety by sitting in Sweden, where he managed to get political asylum by using false excuse of being haunted by LTTE terrorists.

It is also learnt that, Asian Tribune website is regularly engaged in spreading notorious propaganda against United States and Israel as well the Western world. It is even trying to justify the activities of heinous Islamist militancy group like Harkatul Jihad [Huji] as organization earlier patronized by United States.

K T Rajasingham continues to spread hate speech against Jews and Christians also through his Asian Tribune website. It was reported in the media that, K T Rajasingham took personal interest in getting several articles from various individuals to glorify the image of Islam on various occasions.

It is apprehended that, since Sri Lankan authorities might already have lost interest in this man and his website, because of their recent success in almost eliminating the LTTE issue and stopped funding his ventures, this dubious individual might have linked to Islamist militancy group, and receiving funding from such elements in spreading the message of Jihad as well publishing articles and commentaries against Jews, Christians, Israel, United States and the West. And, all such illegal activities are continuing right from Sweden, where K T Rajasingham is presently residing.

Non governmental? My foot it's non governmental! One of the main objectives of Asian Tribune is spreading propaganda against General Fonseka, claiming that he's a traitor!

Smile Rains delay Sri Lanka victory parade, 200,000 displaced.

(Source - Yahoo! News) Log in to see links

Rains delay Sri Lanka victory parade, 200,000 displaced.

COLOMBO (AFP) Heavy rains forced the indefinite postponement of Sri Lanka's military parade marking the first anniversary of its defeat of Tamil rebels, officials said Monday as flash floods killed four people.

The victory celebrations scheduled for Thursday were put off as the military was unable to go ahead with rehearsals due to torrential monsoon rains, a defence official said.

Sri Lanka declared victory after the killing of the top leadership of the Tamil Tigers on May 18 last year following 37 years of bitter conflict which claimed more than 100,000 lives according to United Nations estimates.

The authorities had scheduled a military parade on Thursday to mark the defeat of the Liberation Tigers of Tamil Eelam (LTTE) and the ending of their campaign for an independent state for Sri Lanka's minority Tamils.

Officials said military preparations on Monday were washed out due to heavy rains which also killed at least four people and drove 200,000 people out of their flooded homes.

The Meteorological Department warned there could be landslides in some parts of the country.

Since Sunday, electricity supplies to main towns outside the capital have been disrupted due to trees falling on power lines.

Sri Lanka depends on monsoon rains for irrigation and power generation but the seasonal downpours frequently cause loss of life and damage to property in low-lying areas.

The island's two main monsoon seasons run from May to September and December to February.

Notes -

The president had this Parade planned in order to mark the anniversary of our victory over the LTTE last year. But now, the heavy rains have made everything a mess. The event has been postponed.

It may be just a natural act of nature, But this happening specifically at this time is highly ironic.....

The man who lead the forces to victory, who triumphed over the terrorists & who bought peace to our country is in Jail, & yet the president wanted to carry on the parade without him, At least not even allowing him to participate in just this occasion. And then, only to have rain interfere the event.

".....now does he feel his title hang loose about him, like a giant's robe upon a dwarfish thief." - William Shakespeare's "Macbeth" (Act 5, Scene 2)

--------------------------------------------------------------------------
    As we mark our first anniversary, I hope for peace & prosperity for our country, as well as freedom from tyranny!

Long live Gerneral Sarath Fonseka & the Sri Lankan military, who gave us freedom, safety & a country for us to live in! We owe our lives to them. For what they did for us, & the sacrifices they made in the process. Bless them all! May the Triple Gem bless our mother land!!!

Angry

(Source - Lanka-e-News, May 19, 2010, 9.20 AM) Log in to see links

Two lakhs people rendered destitute due to floods ; three dead

Owing to the incessant torrential rains during the last few days in several areas in the country, over two lakhs people have been rendered destitute by the floods, according to Assist Director, Pradeep Kodipilly of the Disaster management center.

The latest reports say, 198,376 individuals have been rendered homeless. These individuals are from 46,456 families.

Three people have died and two were injured in these floods in Gampaha. 18 houses had been completely destroyed. Most of them are from Gampaha District. The Disaster management center also stated 147 houses have been damaged.
    Assist. Director, Disaster management Center further said, due to the gale in Anuradhapura Rambewa and Ikirigollewa Districts, about 50 houses were severely damaged.

According to him the highest rainfall has been recorded in the Gampaha District and its environs, and most damage too has been suffered by the people in those areas due to floods. Attanagalla, Biyagama, Ja ela, Divulapitiya, Dompe of the Gampaha District, as well as Gampaha city limits including Katana, Kelaniya, Mahara, Negombo, Minuwangoda, and Wattala areas have been most devastated by floods. A number of houses have gone under water. The number of people who had been affected by the floods in those areas alone total up to 87,767 made up of 18,576 families.
    Meanwhile, within Colombo Municipal limits, several new roads have gone under water causing severe traffic congestion. Kirilapone, Nugegoda, Raymond Road, are also still under water causing road blocks. The Disaster management center says, in Colombo city alone 21, 404 families comprising 92, 836 individuals have been displaced and are shelter-less.

While Colombo and Gampaha are most affected by the rains and floods, the areas next so affected are Kalutara and Galle districts. Because of the heavy showers yesterday morning (18), Ambalangoda, Kahawa, Baddegama, Unanmitiya, of the Galle District have been affected heavily with many houses getting inundated. Houses and roads in Kalutara, Panadura, Wadduwa, Alutgama, Matugama and Nagoda junction are also submerged resulting in traffic blocks while houses in large numbers are also flooded. The Center for disaster management also revealed that, in addition, Kurunegala and Puttalam have also experienced minor floods.

In the Colombo – Polgahawela main railway line, as many railway stations, including Enderamulla and Ragama are under water, only one train operated on 17th. Yesterday (18), with the continuous rains, trains down Hunupitiya, Ragama were expected to be stopped. Enderamulla, Horape stations and two or three stations are under two feet of water. The railways Dept. warns that, in this situation, if the railway lines have been damaged, it will not be possible to resume the services for another few days. From 17th evening until 18t h morning, no trains operated according to the time table. On the 17th, the train that started form Colombo at 5.30 p.m. took about 7 hours to reach Ragama subjecting the commuters to grave inconvenience.

Houses along both sides of the railway line from Ragama to Orugoda are submerged. Only roof tops are visible of these houses.

The Railway authorities say, as the rains were too heavy, and the train service from Colombo Fort to Gampaha could not operate according to schedule, this uncontrollable situation can further continue.

Notes -

1. Lakh = one hundred thousand (100,000)