View Poll Results: What is your favourite fighting game series?

Voters
34. You may not vote on this poll
  • Tekken

22 64.71%
  • Street Fighter

9 26.47%
  • Virtua Fighter

3 8.82%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Post Review: Virtua Fighter 3D

Virtua Fighter 3D

Mobile Game Review

Title: Virtua Fighter 3D
    Developer: SEGA
    Publisher: SEGA
    Release Date: September 2008
    Format: J2ME
    Game Features: Three Game Modes, High Scores
    Reviewed on: SE W980

Summary

From Sega comes Virtua Fighter 3D, a classic representation of the popular arcade fighting game that revolutionised the gaming industry. Play all your favourite characters from the popular gaming series in arcade, survival or practice mode. Use your moves and combos to take down your opponents and ultimately reign supreme.

Review

Virtua Fighter 3D takes you back in time for you to relive the glory of its debut. Experience the game that revolutionised the gaming industry when it introduced full 3D polygon graphics, giving characters and scenery a new lease on life. Play as eight different characters from the popular game series in three game modes: arcade, survival and practice.

By todays standards, the Virtua Fighter 3D graphics may be out-dated and shallow, though when reviewing such a game I had to take in the concept of realism and similarity the mobile version is to its arcade counter-part. I have never played any arcade Virtua Fighter, so the game and its graphic details were very new to me. I found when I first played the game the graphics were poor 3D imitations of characters, though I decided to research the game on the internet and found some screenshots of the original arcade Virtua Fighter. On close inspection I started to realise my earlier statements could be adjusted to include the fact that the mobile version and the arcade version had very similar graphics. Though the models are only basic 3D, it shows that if Virtua Fighter was never made, many popular fighting games wouldnt be here today, such as: Tekken and Street Fighter.

Gameplay wise I found the game to be quite poor with not much choice of game modes and poor quality game controls. I found the lack of any kind of story whatsoever made the game lack depth or any real purpose and though it does include arcade and survival mode, they can easily become boring. While checking the help section for instructions I also found the controls to be very poorly explained with little arrows pointing to who knows what. Confused I just tried to go to tutorial mode, which wasnt any better with no instructions whatsoever and the directions the game told me to perform made no sense at all. Arcade mode gives players the ability to fight endlessly against opponents, ultimately never leading to anything. Survival mode though is where you must fight to survive and if you lose at all game over, bad luck.

Along with characters, scenery and some gameplay, it features some form of kung fu movie style soundtracks. The music isnt anything special and the kung fu music; dont ask its just a mess. Either way I didnt overly like the game, though Id recommend the game for things such as bus rides or if you need a short break at work, nothing overly complicated a nice and simple time waster.

Conclusion

Like I pointed out briefly, play Virtua Fighter on a bus or anywhere you need a break for five minutes or so. I say this because the game becomes tedious quite easily and unless you like to repeat things over and over again with no overall ending or point of it, then Virtua Fighter 3D is basically a waste of time.

Screenshots

Scores

Graphics: 6.5/10
    Nothing overly special

Sound: 5/10
    No sound effects, a loop of music

Gameplay: 6/10
    Average

Overall Score : 6.5 out of 10

2. Post Similar Game To Virtua Fighter

Street Fighter Series [Capcom]

Screenshots:

Last edited by Bazza21; 11-07-2009 at 10:37 AM.

i think this game has storyline and could you review 2d version also
    cool review by the way+rep

4. Default

good review

Excellent review Bri!

+rep

6. Default

I remember playing Virtua Cop on my PC ages ago.

7. Angry

very poor graphics that made the version playable only on 128x160 screens ... thumbs down
    Last edited by emil07; 16-07-2009 at 07:09 PM.

8. Default

Next Review Hopefully Up Today:Pizza Manager

Smile

Bad game... But a good review!!!

Nice!!

+rep!
    Keep Rocking, Game On.....
    Lord Buddha's Way Is The Path To Freedom, Enlightenment & Bliss...

My Blog: http://thechroniclesofaki.wordpress.com