View Poll Results: Have you played the PC Version of Build-a-lot?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

8 33.33%
  • No

6 25.00%
  • There's a PC Version? o.O

10 41.67%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Post Review: Build-a-lot

Build-a-lot

Mobile Game Review

Title: Build-a-lot
    Developer: Glu
    Publisher: Glu
    Release Date: February 2009
    Format: J2ME
    Game Features: Large number of levels in Career mode.
    Reviewed on: SE K750i

Summary

Build-a-lot lets you control a neighbourhood where you must buy, sell and build houses to make profit. The more you upgrade the houses you own, the more rental income you will receive.
    It is a tycoon-strategy based game which will keep players entertained for hours on end.

Review

Build-a-lot allows players become strategic entrepreneurs, building, buying, upgrading, and even selling properties. With an easy interface plus a tutorial, build-a-lot helps players understand the concept and structure of the game.

In career mode players will assume the role of a contractor. You must work with the mayors of eight different towns to improve properties and raise visual appeal. At the start of each level the mayor will assign you goals which must be completed in a time-frame. Goals will range from simple tasks to complex tasks, each requiring different strategies. Players must manage cash flow coming in from rental properties, as well as buy materials and hire workers. Players can construct a number of different houses and buildings. From castles to mansions or sawmills to office buildings, build-a-lot offers a wide variety of choice for gamers. Also the houses/buildings you construct have nice visual appeal, with every little detail of the buildings modelled accordingly. Certain buildings you construct also offer you unique advantages. For example, building a sawmill allows you to buy materials at lowered prices. Whereas a bank enables you to collect interest on your properties though it comes at a price, and you may be taxed in game. There are 35 levels in the career mode for players to enjoy, making build-a-lot a brilliant time consuming game. Casual mode allows you more freedom as you can take your time building and managing your tycoon empire.

Graphics wise, as I briefly pointed out, the buildings/houses you construct include every detail of any everyday building. Also every different location features its own unique backdrop of scenery and items.

As far as sounds concerned, its nothing overly special. It features main menu music and background music at the start of each level. Glu has left out the idea of sound effects though, making turning the sound on quite pointless.

Conclusion

Players dont have to know anything about real estate or read complex instructions to understand and enjoy Build-a-lot, which is the best thing about it. You can use any strategy you want, as long as in the end you have a smooth cash flow and you reach your goals. Though the review is short, I believe Ive summed up most of the features that make Build-a-lot a worthwhile game.

Screenshots

Scores

Graphics: Graphics: 7.5/10
    Small in size, but provides a lot of visual detailing.

Sound: Sound: 5.0/10
    Pointless

Gameplay: 8.5/10
    Enjoyable with plenty of missions/levels.

Overall Score : 8.0 out of 10
    Last edited by Bazza21; 30-06-2009 at 10:48 AM. Reason: Attached only one screenshot, woops =.=

Great review Bri

3. Default

Great review

never heard of this game but i might try it now
    +rep

5. Default

Great review !

6. Default

yeah...this game is new

7. Default

i have a suggestion
    at every game u review add an alternative game and a small pic of it

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by power2go3 Log in to see links
    i have a suggestion
    at every game u review add an alternative game and a small pic of it
    why is that?

9. Default

@deadman

i think all reviewers can add some similar games to the game reviewed,with a small picture like power2go3 said