View Poll Results: What is the worse thing about Spider-Man: Toxic City?

Voters
30. You may not vote on this poll
  • Gameplay

7 23.33%
  • Lack of combos

11 36.67%
  • Sound

11 36.67%
  • Never played

9 30.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Post Review: Spider-Man: Toxic City

Spider-Man: Toxic City

Mobile Game Review

Title: Spider-Man: Toxic City
    Developer: Gameloft
    Publisher: Gameloft
    Release Date: June 2009
    Format: J2ME
    Game Features: Story Mode with Multiple Bosses
    Reviewed on: SE W980

Summary

With a new game and a whole new thrilling adventure,
    Spidey’s at it again! Like in previous spider-man games, you’ll go up against several different opponents and bosses, each with their own special abilities. Overall an interesting game with good graphics, and a humorous touch.

Review

The character “Spider-man” has been around for many years. Namely famous as a comic book creation, Spider-man has also become known in many areas of the entertainment industry, such as television, movies, and in console gaming. Spider-man first appeared in the Marvel Comic “Amazing Fantasy #15” back in August 1962, and since then has become a renowned superhero loved by all. So what about “Spider-man: Toxic City” is it a success? The answer, it’s more along the border line of average/success.

With the blend of some nice gameplay and plenty of fighting, “Spider-man: Toxic City” is a game that will keep you entertained, but only for short period of time. Story Mode lets you follow Spidey/Peter Parker and Mary Jane/MJ through the evil plot of the Green Goblin. You’ll meet goblin’s minions in several fights, being able to use a certain number of combos/moves to defeat them. The storyline scores well on the fact that there are a variety of bosses, each requiring a different technique to defeat them. You’ll also have access to a “special” which isn’t very special, as it seems to deal the same amount of damage as a “normal” move. Moving through the game the player will also collect several items, such as: extra life, health, comic books, golden spiders and stars. Several of these items will unlock new moves, game modes, achievements and an “extended ending”

As far as sounds are concerned I usually keep my sound off for games, but I’m writing a review so I’ve got to test all aspects of the game. When I first turned sound on, honestly it sounded like something out of “Super Mario Brothers”. If you’re saying “Hey I like the Super Mario Brothers!” fair enough, I won’t argue with you but that’s not the point I’m getting at. Point I’m going for is: It doesn’t suit the game of “Spider-Man”. Spider-man’s about fighting and swinging around on a web not climbing down in pipes and collecting coins.

Now to the graphics, well like all mobile games you can’t expect too much high detail. The average gamer always expects a good model character and a nice model background/scenery. In those aspects “Spider-Man: Toxic City” doesn’t disappoint, with a good character model and some quite freakish looking enemies. The detailing is quite excellent so it does not disappoint us.

Conclusion

Entertaining game, but unfortunately short lived.

Screenshots

px30i6zjvxmh1jzybed7.gifsptvalcoinpl5fpepl87.gifv2ob237erxt3c6fvqnrn.gif

Scores

Graphics: 8/10
    Quite Well Done

Sound: 5/10
    Unusual, does not suit the game

Gameplay: 7/10
    Fair

Story: 7/10
    Interesting Chain of Events

Overall Score : 7 out of 10

That's excellent!

3. Default

Again, great review Bri! Agree with you totally on the scores

Great Review Bri

Fantastic review Bri!

great review but a bad game

7. Default

Nice review, i would've given it a 7.5 though, the extra 0.5 is for the survival and time attack mode and the option to play as the black suit spiderman. I agree with you on the sound, it's really annoying. This game would've been a lot better with more levels and upgrades. Can't wait for spiderman 4 and ironman 2 (yes, gameloft bought the license for these two games) . It's not a bad game, it's an okay game, it kept me entertained for about two hours or so.

8. Default

Thanx for the feedback everyone

Next Review : The Sims 3

9. Default

Nice!! But not perfect...