View Poll Results: Does Scrabble Mobile feel like a board game?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

16 84.21%
  • No

0 0%
  • Never played

3 15.79%
  1. Default Review: Scrabble

Scrabble
    Mobile Game Review

Title:
    Scrabble.
    Developer: Mr Goodliving.
    Publisher: RealNetworks.
    Release Date: Winter 08.
    Format: J2ME.
    Game Features: Play the board game on your phone.
    Reviewed on: SE C905.

Summary

After 60 years of popularity with millions of players worldwide, Scrabble goes mobile with an all-new version. Challenge up to 3 virtual opponents in traditional Scrabble or build your vocabulary in Solitaire Mode. Scrabble Quick Play arrives for the first time on the mobile, allowing you to maximise your score for 4 sets of 7 letters. Get the real Scrabble experience on the go!

Review

Right then back to business, well start the year off with a review of Scrabble, now Im not a fan of board games, so when I heard that a new Scrabble was out on mobile I didnt care, until I found out that its by Mr Goodliving, developer of many of my favourite mobile games including the Summer Games series.

So then to the game, you may think that its impossible to fit a whole Scrabble board onto such a small screen; be it 240x320 or even 128x128, but true to form Mr Goodliving have come up trumps, with a beautifully clear display on my C905, it might not be as clear on smaller screens but should be legible.
    The controls are simple enough, and pretty much self explanatory, access to your letters is controlled by quick thumb controls and placing them with the cursor and; left, right, up and down, simple but effective.
    Scrabble supports up to four players on the same phone, you can either play with your friends or family using the pass and play system of put yourself up against four computer opponents, which you can select the intelligence of, or you can have a mixture of the two, be it; two human, two computer, three human, one computer, you get the idea.
    Game modes include; Solitaire, which allows you to play alone in which you can practice your skills, or just have a nice stress free game of scrabble. Quick mode takes away the board and requires you to be as the title says, quick and to put together a selected number of words, Quick mode also allows up to four players.
    Be it that youre playing alone, with friends or against the computer, Scrabble has something that makes it entertaining no matter who youre playing against.
    Scrabble is one of those games that just works, I was playing it on the bus on the way home and I didnt put it down once, I hardly ever do that with a mobile game, probably because it made me feel a bit intelligent and who doesnt like that feeling? I have to admit I played the EA version of this a while back and it plays nothing like the Mr Goodliving version, its all down to the intelligence of the game and the ease of which you can just pick up and play, I really do have to give Mr Goodliving credit on the job theyve done.
    Im pretty sure that fans of the board game will feel playing this is the closest thing to playing the original. Its a great conversion of an iconic board game, and I have nothing but praise for this game.

Conclusion

In all Scrabble is a great game to pass the time or to improve your knowledge, yet again Mr Goodliving has produced something truly special and added to its already impressive archive of games.

Screenshots

Graphics: 9/10
    Clear, and looks like a board game.

Sound:
    8/10
    Suit the game.

Gameplay:
    8.5/10
    Simple and fun.

Overall Score: 8 out of 10
    silver.gif
    Last edited by EvilSpaghetti; 06-10-2010 at 11:09 AM.

Great Review

3. Default

Great review This game is really addictive, and I feel smarter

Nice review Aaron!
    Scrabble 4 ever!!!

5. Default

Next Review:

CSI: New York

6. Default

Nice one m8

7. Default

Excelent review! And the game was really funny and addicting ^^