View Poll Results: Does Far Cry educate?

Voters
63. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

37 58.73%
  • No

26 41.27%
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast
  1. Default Review: Far Cry 2

Far Cry 2
    Mobile Game Review

Title:
    Far Cry 2
    Developer: Ubi Soft
    Publisher: Gameloft
    Release Date: 10/08
    Format: J2ME
    Game Features: Follow the console version.
    Reviewed on: SE K800i

Summary

Mobile gamers will be fighting on foot and motorbike covering a cool ten levels set in Africa, and the gamer will be fighting against the Jackal and his evil cohorts. The mobile gamer will be fighting in jungles and deserts with an array of weaponry such as sniper rifle, flame thrower, grenades, and mine detectors.

Review

This week Far Cry 2, it was going to be NFS Undercover but we wont go into that. So then Far Cry 2 is one of the biggest games to come out this year, on console that is, so can the mobile version live up to its big brothers expectations? I really dont know it has a lot of work to do. Yes I know that a mobile game based on a console version will never be as good but it can have a good go at it.

So then Far Cry 2, what is it about? Well you play as a mercenary caught up in the middle of a fictitious civil war between the United Front for Liberation and Labour and former Government official called the Alliance for Popular Resistance in a fictitious African nation, although you arent actually on anyones side you will find yourself carrying out missions for both sides, not for anyones good but your own and information on one man, The Jackal who is your main target and like you taking advantage of the war and making money from it.
    Far Cry 2 isnt an easy game, surviving is a task in its own, ammo is short lived and so is health, the missions themselves involve weakening the enemy (depending on whos side youre on at the time) or involve freeing a captive from enemy hands.
    The structure of the missions is very simple and take two forms; one being a 2D top-down view where you basically become Rambo and shoot anything that gets in your way, or become very stealthy and sneaking past the enemy or taking them out from behind, so coming up with a strategy is key, usually it just takes a bit of changing your weapon every so often, so that you dont run out of ammo (which will happen) and have to use your handgun which isnt very good if I may say so, another reason for changing your weapons during a mission is to take out the harder enemies that decide to take up position behind cover or a machine gun, usually you can take them out with a Molotov or two, but if you dont have any just run, but dont worry, some of the time you will have someone to help you along with the missions, but most of the time youre alone.
    The second from being Sniper mode, you can probably guess at what you have to do here, but for those who cant, it involves you taking out guards from a distance by moving around the screen and taking your aim before you shoot, a bit like the sniper games that some of you might have played.
    One of my favourite parts of the game is racing through the African desert on a motor bike whilst taking out enemies on the way to your destination, although a lot of the missions require you to keep tapping 5 the changes in the missions keep the game fresh and alive.
    Between missions youll be able to have a rest from the shooting and give your thumb a rest from pressing 5 all the time and pick up some ammo and have a chance to talk to the locals who seem to justify you actions in some way, on which youll also find that the war isnt helping anyone but the two opposing sides, their actions arent punishing each other but instead the countrys population and giving even more reason for the war to continue. Whilst talking to the locals you start to think yourself that the missions you had done for both sides may have affected some of the locals you talk to in between the missions.
    Its clear that the game is trying to convey a message to people about the effects of war and that nothing good will ever come out of it, and that there is no right or wrong in the eye of a mercenary, and its that point that makes you think has this game been made for entertainment or to educate? Ill let you decide that one.

Conclusion

So is Far Cry 2 a game worth playing? Indeed it is, great graphics, great gameplay and most of all its fun, I guess its one of the things that Gameloft does well.
    NFS Undercover or Far Cry 2? Well it depends on what you like, sorry EA... Gameloft won this time.

Screenshots

Graphics: 8/10
    Great animations, colourful graphics.

Sound:
    7/10
    Good sound effects

Gameplay:
    8/10
    Fun, easy controls and fresh.

Story:
    8/10
    Great story

Overall Score: 8 out of 10
    silver.gif
    Last edited by EvilSpaghetti; 06-10-2010 at 11:08 AM.

Excellent Review Aaron!
    The game was very good and i enjoyed it!

Great review

4. Default

Smashing review for a great game

5. Default

Great review, great game

6. Default

Excellent review! Like always... I played the game and I liked it! A very good game! I think the score is faire! Who's gonna make the next review? And by the way, why Outlaw isn't making reviews anymore?

7. Default

good game, awesome review........i dont play such games much though, on mobile that is.

8. Default

So thne why review games?! Lol kiddin but yeah great reviews.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by tekina Log in to see links
    good game, awesome review........i dont play such games much though, on mobile that is.
    Quote Originally Posted by mitchman_93 Log in to see links
    So thne why review games?! Lol kiddin but yeah great reviews.