View Poll Results: Is Pure really that bad?

Voters
22. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

10 45.45%
  • No

7 31.82%
  • Never Played

5 22.73%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Review: Pure

Pure
    Mobile Game Review

Title:
    Pure
    Developer: Disney Games
    Publisher: Disney Interactive Studios
    Release Date: 09/08
    Format: J2ME
    Game Features:
    Reviewed on: SE K800i

Summary

Pure Mobile Game refreshes the genre of mobile racing games. It brings together the joy of riding in wilderness, mastering all kinds of terrain, never seen before jumping huge distances and the competitive spirit of racing as a duel against each opponent. Players will be able to create and develop unique identity connecting them with the vast racing world. Players will explore beautiful and deadly sceneries from all over the planet. They'll compete against intelligent opponents in adrenaline rush races and they'll perform insane stunts and tricks while hanging high in the air. Players will feel every bump and dent on the track, and they'll be able to use every terrain specifics to their advantage.

Review

This week Pure, the game for the 4x4 enthusiasts... not me then, but let’s give it a chance, so then what is the point of Pure? Is it a stunt game? Is it a racer? Or is it both? Honestly... personally I don’t really care, I know I may sound a bit negative, but games like these really don’t interest me, I’d rather not play a game performing the same stunts over and over, but the review isn’t about me, it’s about the game, so let’s get on with it...
    Whilst playing pure you’ll find yourself starting off as the new guy on the scene, with no money and the not so powerful first quad, soon enough you’ll find yourself making your way up the ranks and finally to global champion, a pretty predictable concept. There are about a twelve tracks and challenges throughout the game which take part all over the world.
    Almost all of the challenges are races, but here’s where the ‘excitement’ comes, yes there are tricks involved, lots and lots of repetitive tricks, I could hardly contain my excitement when I found out there where tricks involved... As you can probably tell I’m being sarcastic, anyway these tricks can be performed by hitting ramps, now by hitting I don’t mean going up to one a punching it, I mean going up one, I’m just trying to make it sound as if I know something about this sort of stuff, but I don’t, so if you hit one of the bigger ramps you can perform most of the trick that are available, the trick are simple enough to pull off, it’s a case of choosing which trick from the image that is given to you whilst in mid-air, the controls for the tricks are simple enough; ‘2’, ‘4’, ‘6’ or ‘8’ and the same controls apply for keeping your bikers balance. Really though it’s not a case of performing tricks just for fun, it’s a case of tricks equal cash, or in the game style points, which acts like money, which if you save up enough of these points you’ll be able to buy new quads and new tricks, although buying new tricks and new bikes is a bit of a waste of money, with most games you assume buying new cars or bikes would improve your performance or make winning that little bit easier, well in Pure all of that is thrown out of the window, all these new bikes and tricks do is help you gain more points, points that do what? Help you gain more point... I guess you could say they’re a bit pointless (wait for laughter... and continue) so gaining style points really don’t affect game play in any way at all.
    If you can remember at the beginning I asked whether Pure was both a stunt game and a racer, well I can answer that is a no, it’s just a plain old racer, nothing more nothing less. The gameplay itself is nothing short of boring, moving up and down, up and down again and again trying to avoid any obstacles or any terrain that’ll slow you down, ok so there are other racers on the track that will try and stop you by winning, by passing you, so really they’re not much of a threat, I know I said the game was just a race, but really it doesn’t even feel like a racer, well it does, but not a Asphalt or NFS it’s scripted to be a true racer. You’ll find that each track is split into a number of sections, which there are a different number of; from snowy or grassy fields etc... The areas are full of little ramps that allow you to charge up your boost, but for some reason this makes the game feel contrived and winning a race feels empty.
    But it’s not all bad, well most of it is, but there is something which earns the game some respect from me, on the visual side of things the game isn’t bad, the different environments bring a little something to the game that keep it fresh, but I’m afraid that’s it in terms of good points.

Conclusion

So then, is Pure trying to be something it’s not?... Too right it is, the game is too scripted and far too easy, and to be honest I’d rather play an AMA fashion game than this, that’s how much I don’t like this game.

Screenshots

Graphics: 6/10
    The best thing about the game.

Sound:
    5/10
    Nothing special

Gameplay:
    3/10
    Boring and repetative

Story:
    4/10
    Far too scripted

Overall Score: 4.5 out of 10
    Last edited by EvilSpaghetti; 19-10-2008 at 06:33 PM.

Great review Aaron!Well done!

3. Default

Great review Aaron +Rep

I agree with your ratings, it didn't look like anything special, same old same old.

4. Default

Great review like always! +rep for you...

Great review...+rep
    edit:must spread it first

6. Default

great review i'll wait for more from you
    +rep

7. Default

great review indeed...the gameplay was boring and repetitive...

8. Default

Next review:

Saints Row 2

Quote Originally Posted by AaronVW Log in to see links
    Next review:

Saints Row 2
    Great!

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AaronVW Log in to see links
    Next review:

Saints Row 2
    Can't wait!