View Poll Results: Is it really that good?

Voters
33. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

12 36.36%
  • No

3 9.09%
  • Never Played

18 54.55%

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
  1. Default Review: Aces of the Luftwaffe

Aces of the Luftwaffe
    Mobile Game Review

Title:
    Aces of the Luftwaffe
    Developer: Handy Games
    Publisher: Handy Game
    Release Date: 09/08
    Format: J2ME
    Game Features: Based on WWII air battles.
    Reviewed on: SE K800i

Summary

You're participating in World War II. The Germans invade Britain and try to conquer your homeland! You ascend to the airs, together with your team-mates, to defend your country by all means! Each manoeuvre you've learned in the training camp, will help you to defy your dangerous enemies! Don't get distracted by death and explosions around you, because your final challenge is awaiting you! Once the Aces of the Luftwaffe arrive, you'll need all your courage and skills to survive and win! Fight for England! Fight for the Royal Air Force! Fight for your mates MacMoney, Rat, Freshman and Poison! Fight and win... and become a Fighter Ace yourself!

Review

This week Aces of the Luftwaffe, It was going to be Fifa 09 but I couldnt cope with its shear lack of quality that the game provided, so I changed my mind and went for this one.
    To the game, if youre wondering what the Luftwaffe is Ill tell you, its the German Air Force, so now you know what it is you can pretty much guess what the game is about, but no you dont play as the Germans, you play as the British going up against the German invasion, the game solely concentrates on the battles of the skies during WWII, so dont expect any ground to ground combat.
    The game is simple enough, if you ever played 1944 youll be familiar with the games concept, a third-person, top-down shooter, the action button (5) allows a few seconds of shooting, whilst left and right moves you left and right, so you could say its a game that anyone could play.
    However... it doesnt end there Aces of the Luftwaffe has a lot more to offer than just relentless shooting and enemies.
    Lets start with the power-ups, again if youre familiar with 1944 youll know that in these types of games theyre usually weapon upgrades and repair kits, well in Aces of the Luftwaffe its not different, so you can pick up anything from; dual machine gun fire and rockets to a repair kit and a power transmitter which lets you call in supporting wingmen, very handy a times.
    Next; Plane manoeuvres, better than any of the normal power-up, why? I hear you ask, Ill tell you... Because they make the game a lot more fun, diving under enemies and rolling past them it better than just shooting them as they fly towards you, and well its a great time saver to, you earn plane manoeuvres by saving up skill points, which you earn through accurate gunning, there are five plane manoeuvres in total, but theyre worth earning.
    Lets talk about some of these manoeuvres; the roll manoeuvre lets you quickly move from left or right to evade that relentless enemy fire, by pressing left or right twice quickly. The nosedive lets you fly low - useful for avoiding enemies and picking up some power-ups, and is very handy in some missions.
    The looping manoeuvre meanwhile lets you loop backwards a few seconds, so you can pick off enemies you might have missed first time.
    I have to say the first time I played through this game without these upgrades I struggled, so theyre not there just for fun, yes theyre fun to use but they really do help in the later missions. Saying that you have to be strategic in term of how and when you use them in a mission, because you are limited to only a few per mission, but that isnt where the strategy side of the game ends, yes thats right the boss battles, which are very fun indeed, although theyre not at the end of every level , shame really, anyway these boss battles offer a variety of huge planes to other huge airborne machines, when I say huge I mean huge, screen-filling bosses, and if you found them as fun as I did you can always go back and fight them again in Dog Fight mode.
    There are also various mission types in the main story game. Air Battles are simple shooting fights where you need to take down a certain number of enemies in the level in order to claim victory. But there are more inventive missions - such as Rescue ones where you need to nosedive on pilots to rescue them, and Ground Defence where you shoot down bombers before they reach their ground targets - indicated by red arrows.

Conclusion

So then is this game a game for everyone? Yes, yes it is, and in fact its one of the best games Ive played all year, I like the way its not trying to be too serious, I like its cartoon style graphics and I love the originality of the game, all I can say is, am I glad I didnt continue playing Fifa 09.

Screenshots

Graphics: 9/10
    Colourful cartoon style graphics.

Sound:
    8/10
    Suit the game.

Gameplay:
    8.5/10
    Original concept with a twist.

Story:
    8/10
    Everyone likes a WWII game

Overall Score: 9 out of 10
    gold.gif
    Last edited by EvilSpaghetti; 06-10-2010 at 11:06 AM.

2. Default

nice review.however the review is too long.Mind summarize it???Lazy people playing games and lazy people hate to read a very long review.A few fantastic sentence should do it!

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by exsinner Log in to see links
    nice review.however the review is too long.
    It's a review....

4. Default

the screens confirm the good quality...!!
    nice review Aaron, i agree with the rating too

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Nightmare Log in to see links
    Cool avatar Lightman
    arent we supposed to speak only about the game reviewed?

anyway this game looks really good and the review is great as usual.

6. Default

I'm playing this game now and its really good and deserves the ratings as given in the review. This game is a must have!!

7. Default

Next Review:

Pure

8. Default

Quote Originally Posted by AaronVW Log in to see links
    Next Review:

Pure
    oh yeah! i look forward to it