Page 5 of 51 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

i see just the big game?
    is it taking too long?
    im gonna buy an metal gear special edition ps3..

2. Default

PS3 games install files onto your HDD to speed up the load times. Each of these games usually requires 5GB of your disk space and can take up to 20 minutes to install (DMC4), but this only happens the first time you put the game disk in.

The reason? Although Blu-ray offers much more capacity per disk than DVD (5-6 times more), it is much slower than the DVD drive in the 360 on average. Therefore to make up for the slower speed, devs put data on the HDD to help performance, i.e. improve the load times.

The first PS3 games to use the HDD in this way used to offer gamers a choice of using 5GB of their HDD space to improve performance or stay with Blu-ray only and accept the slower load times. But today, more PS3 games seem to be making a HDD install a requirement.

As mentioned, a HDD is MUCH faster than DVD or Blu-ray, and because PCs typically have huge HDDs (to store all your software), games install onto the PC's HDD just like other software, where the performance would be significantly faster than if it was running from DVD.

Also, games consoles are designed to run one game at a time, so you just put the disk in and play. PCs are designed to run multiple applications at the same time, therefore all your software has to be immediately available, and the HDD makes this possible.
    it was only taking a long time because i had no space on my HDD

Quote Originally Posted by Songbird Log in to see links
    its because the games are so big
    But you have Blu-Ray? Which is WAY bigger that DVD...
    I'm confused.

EDIT:Ok never mind.

2nd edit:I still don't see the need for the files to be installed to the HDD. Again I refer to GTA4.

I've played the game on both consoles and to be honest, the loading times are the same.

5. Default

because the blu-ray drive is slower than the 360 drive, the HDD makes up for the slowness

because the blu-ray drive is slower than the 360 drive, the HDD makes up for the slowness
    No offense to you or Sony, but that is dumb. Why not switch to HD-DVD and cut out the need to install to the HDD?

7. Default

because you can fit more on the Blu-ray disk

(woo i don't have to work today )

what's the difference in ps3 metal gear edition that i just bought..

to ps3 normal?

9. Default

nothing you just get the game with it... maybe it has some msg themes on it.

because you can fit more on the Blu-ray disk

(woo i don't have to work today )
    Yes I realize that, and I apologize if I'm irritating the crap out of you (and to you SeaGoddess for messing up your thread) but HD-DVD is more than big enough for our current games. And if the games get bigger still, then dual or even triple layer DVD's are still a possibility.

Plus, Blu-Ray is SO much more expensive. A stand-alone unit costs nearly as much as a PS3.