1. Default Will video games ever get the respect they deserve?

Will video games ever be held in as high a regard, by the world's population, as such classic and established media forms as books,films and music?

I personally think that all the time that the story (in most games) remains a poor second to graphics and gameplay mechanics they will never become 'classic' .
    Classic literature still remains a good book to read hundreds of years later-Charles Dickens,Emily and Charlotte Bronte sisters,Jane Austen,Mark Twain,Rudyard Kipling............I could go on....
    Classic films remain an entertaining storytelling medium 50+ years after the film was made(that makes 1962 btw and there were a lot of films made then and before that are regarded as seminal and always worth watching- The appatment (1960), Lawrence of Arabia (1962), The Manchurian Candidate (1962), Psycho (1960), West Side Story (1961)........again I could go on.
    Music-modern pop music and all other forms were basically invented in the early 60's (except for forms of electronic dance which essentially comes from the disco scene in the 1970's). Then there is music before then that still sells well-classical,jazz,blues etc.

I know these media have had a lot longer to mature and cater for their audience (video games only started in late 70's so it has only had about 35 years) but if the video games industry wants to be held in the same regard as the above media then story NEEDS to come first and everything else considered afterwards-you can easily play a new game for hours on end but would you really consider playing pacman or space invaders for hours and hours?I wouldn't.

2. Default

Give it another 20 years and maybe it will happen.