1. Default can i upgrade my android

I m using sony xperia x8, with 2.1 android can i upgrade it on 2.2 or 2.3

Quote Originally Posted by amit_k20001 Log in to see links
    I m using sony xperia x8, with 2.1 android can i upgrade it on 2.2 or 2.3
    Yes, But only if you root your phone. SE aren't updating the x8, so i rooted mine and use a custom ROM.
    Last edited by Paul; 02-10-2011 at 12:41 AM.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Paul Log in to see links
    Yes, But only if you root your phone. SE aren't updating the x8, so i rooted mine and use a custom ROM.
    Hi Paul.. Can you tell me how ? Is It easy to do ? whts root your phone ?Because I dont have much idea about all these things .. so if you can help..

Hi Paul.. Can you tell me how ?
    I can try, ill copy/post the tut i followed.

Is It easy to do ?
    Its easy enough.

whts root your phone ?Because I dont have much idea about all these things .. so if you can help..
    In the most literal definition of the word, rooting is giving your phone the ability to be granted root (admin) access to the system. To do this, a special program called su (a.k.a superuser) is called, and its job is to grant a user or application root access when requested. The su program is not factory-installed on your phone. The process of adding su to your system is what is known as rooting.

However, when most people refer to rooting, they are not necessarily referring to the literal definition of the word. Implicit in the rooting process is removing the NAND protection being enforced by the bootloader. The reason the bootloader aspect is significant in the rooting process is that without write access to the /system partition, much of the post-root functionality is still unavailable. In fact, to place su onto the /system partition, NAND protection must be disabled; otherwise the bootloader will prohibit the attempt to write the su program to /system. Removing this bootloader protection, a.k.a. NAND unlock, S-OFF, "unlocking the bootloader," allows for the modification of the /recovery partition, the /boot partition where the Linux kernel is stored, and the /hboot partition, where the bootloader program itself is stored. Rooting stands for freedom and openness. Once this security is removed, only then do you have full access to your phone.

In some devices, it's possible to add su to the system but not remove the NAND protection of the bootloader. This scenario is often referred to as a half-root. A full-root, therefore, is a phone where the NAND protection is removed, and su has been added to /system. Typically, a custom recovery program also replaces the stock recovery program as part of a full root.
    Ok, now top 10 reasons to root your Android phone

Performance Update

There are just too many flavors of Android in the market, with every OEM or carrier adding their own personalization and customization to devices. While they may appeal to some, they do not let the device take full advantage of what the hardware is capable of. With root access, you can actually tweak the OS to behave entirely differently, and with infamous developers like Cyanogen working on custom ROMs and mods, people have actually reported performance boosts. Take the G1 for example. The device never got 2.1 officially, but thanks to Cyanogonmod G1 owners can not only the tastiness of Eclair but also report much better performance than the stock ROMs.

Hardware/Software Interaction

Most Android devices come with hardware that is fairly heavily capable, yet the OS limits them and becomes the bottleneck. By rooting, you actually remove the bottleneck and hence can take full advantage of your beloved Android. For example, overclocking a devices CPU is fairly simple and rather safe thanks to many third-party apps, yet the OS does not allow it natively, and hence overclocking can only be done with a rooted phone. Or suppose you want to use your mobiles LED as flashlight (HTC Desire, anyone?) but cannot because HTC wont allow it? Rooting will allow you to bypass this limitation!

APPS2Sd

One of the most talked-about feature (or disadvantage) of any Android device is the limitation where you can install applications only in the phones internal memory and not the SD card. While Google may reason that SD cards are slower in general and cannot run apps as effectively as internal memory, fact of the matter is that most Android devices do not come with massive internal storage spaces, and hence greatly limit the number of applications that can be installed at a time. With rooted devices, you can use Apps2SD, which will copy ALL your applications to a ext2/3/4 formatted SD card an will also store future builds in card. Freedom to choose!

Unavailable Features

When Google brought forth the Nexus One, one of the aesthetically pleasing features was Live Wallpapers. Unfortunately, most of the Android phones vary so greatly, that despite the hardware being compatible with Live Wallpapers, the software wont allow them to run. My Samsung Galaxy Spica is a perfect example. The handsets hardware can easily handle Live Wallpapers, yet Samsung chose to exclude it. Thanks to rooting, you can have them on your device as long as hardware allows.

EXTRA APPLICATIONS

Folks at XDA-Developers have created a wonderful application, SetCPU, which allows easy overclocking of various Android CPUs. However, due to the permissions required for such level of operation, a superuser access is necessary, and that can come only from a root access. This is just one example. The internet is flooded with many such applications that remain useless unless you have rooted your phone.

Multitouch

If you have ever typed on an iPhone, you would always remember the smooth, fast typing action that you achieve on that amazing keyboard. Or if you can recall that pinch-zoom actions. These are the products of a

multitouch screen.

While most Androids can deal with multitouch, various manufacturers have decided to omit it in their devices. This is not always because the hardware is incapable, but because the software does not let it happen. This becomes even more irritating when you see that HTC Hero had multitouch input support back from the Android 1.6 days, but more modern more powerful 2.1 devices never got it (again, my Spica).

Thanks to rooting, it has become possible to get multitouch input in various devices, most notably the G1.

WIFI AND Bluetooth Tethering

After having rooted your device, you can also use WiFi or Bluetooth tether to share your cellular data connection with your laptop or PC. The application works with ad hoc connections and will get you up and running online on your laptop in no time. Similarly, tethering can also be achieved over a Bluetooth connection. You may check out the app in question here, but remember, rooted-phones only!

Better Keyboard

I have expressed before and I will say again; I do not dislike the Android keyboard. However, it just isnt enough. HTC, with their SenseUI, brought to their devices the revered HTC IME keyboard which had predictive text input, and made typing a breeze. Since it was an HTC only keyboard, people with phones from other manufacturers were left blindfolded. Again, the root-developer community ported the keyboard for all platforms, making possible for all rooted phones to take advantage of the better input method.

APPS From other builds

Almost every build of Android OS differs from others when it comes to default apps. G1 hasnt got the same stuff as myTouch 3G; Nexus One differs from HTC Desire. Whats more, these applications from one build cannot be ported to another. Hence you are stuck in more than one ways. However, with custom ROMs, the developers usually gather the best of the lot in one complete package, that would leave a user satisfied, not craving. And to get these custom ROMs running on your phone, you need root.

Because you can!

I am serious, I consider this a reason. You have a powerful, capable device that you have paid for. You should have the right to modify or change it in any way you like. The device is your property, and you would naturally want to see it working at its maximum potential. Hence the point of rooting.

With the latest Froyo announcement at Googles 2010 I/O conference, most of these reasons may become useless. But Froyo will not be pushed for all devices, at least not immediately. While it will aim to reduce the fragmentation in Android division, until it happens, a rooted device is the only option you have.

Last, please do remember that rooting voids your warranty. Although you can always go back to a stock version of the OS, it is risky business, hence proceed with caution.

This is the tut i followed, which took me about 10 minutes. I then downloaded a custom rom and i was away.

Here it is, thanks to gabeyong @Android Forums

Root, Install & Use xRecovery on Xperia X8

DISCLAIMER: Please use the info below at your own risk with no warranty of any kind.

A) INSTALLING xRecovery

WHAT YOU NEED: <download>
    SuperOneClick

xRecovery (3 files within the .rar file)

Note: There are 3 versions of xRecovery (xRecovery v0.1 for Xperia X8, xRecovery v0.2 and xRecovery v0.3 for Xperia X10) but only xRecovery v0.1 will work on the Xperia X8. These xRecovery files are developed specific to a type of android phone not upgrades/updates.

Root Explorer

HOW IT IS DONE:

Step 1: Root your Xperia X8
    - download and unzip SuperOneClickv1.9.1-ShortFuse to PC Desktop
    - connect Xperia X8 to PC (Do not mount)
    - on your phone <goto><setting><applications> select <unknown sources>
    - on your phone <goto><settings><applications><development> select <usb debugging>
    - Launch SuperOneClick -> click <Root>
    - you will see - <not successful - is your phone software higher than 2.0?>
    - click <yes> and then <success> & <test su> message

NOTE:
    If SuperOneClick is running but hangs mid-process you need to install .NET Framework v2.0 or above. DO NOT ASSUME you are running Windows 7 it has .NET Framework installed.

If you are successful in ROOTING your phone - SuperUser app will be installed to your Xperia X8.
    If you are not successful:-
    (a) check your PC <devices><usb> to see if your phone is recognized by your PC (troubleshoot PC driver problem)
    (b) <usb debugging> in your Xperia X8 phone settings enabled?
    Then <Launch> <SuperOneClick> and try again.

[if you don't have a file manager on your phone]
    Install <Astro File Manager> from Android Market

Step 2: Mount Xperia X8 (to access SD Card)
    - copy <Root.Explorer.v2.16.apk> to root of SD Card
    - using PC create folder <xRecovery> and unzip xRecovery0.1.rar
    - put the 3 files into the xRecovery folder you've created
    - copy the xRecovery folder to root of SD Card

Step 3: UnMount Xperia X8 from PC

Step 4: Launch <Astro> Install <Root Explorer v2.16.apk>

Step 5: Copy xRecovery files to </system/bin> of your phone
    - Launch <Root Explorer>
    - scroll down to /sdcard <click to access>
    - scroll down to xRecovery folder <click to access>
    - Select each of the 3 files (one by one) <click & hold><copy>
    - <click> parent folder (twice)
    - scroll down to <click to access><system>
    - <click to access><bin> and <click><Mount R/W>
    - press <paste> button

COPY ALL THE 3 FILES (one by one) FROM xRecovery Folder to </system/bin> folder
    (i.e. busybox, chargemon and xrecovery.tar)

Once you have done that... you have installed xRecovery to your Xperia X8

SHUTDOWN -> Wait 5 seconds and REBOOT

When you see the words [Sony Ericsson] on the phone screen - start pressing the back button on your phone multiple times and you will enter the xRecovery Menu.

USING xRecovery

Select Buttons = Volume Up & Volume Down Buttons
    Enter Button = Home Button
    Back Button = Back Button

To BACKUP your Xpedia X8's current ROM
    select <backup and restore><backup> from the menu

This will create a backup file in your SD Card <SD/xRecovery/backup>

Note: Typically the backup should be around 256MB in size, so you may want to copy the file to your PC to lighten your 2GB SD Card.

To RESTORE from a backup of your current ROM
    select <backup and restore><restore> from menu & select the <file_name>

Note: If you have a backup on PC just copy it to <SD/xRecovery/backup> and restore as usual.

To install a Custom ROM (e.g. GINGERBREAD 2.3.3 CM7 for Xpedia X8)
    Just download it from the xda-developers.com website and copy to SD Card
    reboot and use xRecovery to <restore> the Custom ROM to your Xperia X8.
    Download custom ROMS for x8 from Log in to see links

Id recommend GingerDX.