View Poll Results: Conviction the perfect game?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

5 71.43%
  • No

2 28.57%
  • Never Played

0 0%
  1. Default Review: Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction

Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
    Mobile Game Review

Title:
    Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction
    Developer: Gameloft
    Publisher: Gameloft
    Release Date:Out now.
    Format: J2ME
    Game Features: 13 levels set in 8 different locations, from Malta to the White House, intuitive and simple controls to execute any action, perform amazing cinematic actions thanks to quick-time events.
    Reviewed on: SE K800i

Summary

Play as Sam Fisher, a highly skilled special forces operative and fight a corrupted secret agency to get your daughter back. Follow a trail of intrigue that leads from Malta all the way to the White House! Run, jump, fight, and shoot using a handgun, shotgun, AK47 or bazooka. Hack into computer systems and maintain stealth by improvising with nearby objects or even by blending into a crowd. You are now a renegade spy agent; you don't follow any orders except for your own rules of engagement! Your morals, your game!

Review

Ladies and gentleman this week is a big one, Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction is put under the knife and dissected, but first I have some sad news... My iPhone died, which means no Monkey Island 2 review, so can we all have a moment's silence in respect of my iPhone.
    Anyway that's quite enough of that, now I've played Conviction on the 360 and loved every minute of it and this week I've been playing the Mobile version and can you believe it's been three years since the last Splinter Cell on mobile? So they've had a while to work on this one, so you'd expect it to deliver. So my question this week is... Does Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell: Conviction live up to its big brother on the console? Let's find out.

What's the story? The same as it is on the console version, you, Sam Fisher, American hard man and ex-government agent have been tracking down your daughter’s murderer in Malta, but as with most games there's a twist (which I won't give away) in which you soon find yourself having to save the world and the president from a mad man with a bomb, so your typical every day situation.
    Graphically compared with the console version Conviction stands no chance, but of course we all know a mobile java game is never going to compete with a console game graphically, but compared to 2d, side scrolling java games out there at the moment Conviction is most certainly one of the better looking ones and with brilliant animations Conviction really does set a new benchmark for future java games 2d or 3d . Sound wise it's pretty much the same as all java games so I won't bore you with the details.
    Now then let's talk about gameplay, what is Conviction? Is it an action game or is it a stealth game? Well... It's a bit of both, though there are a few enemies on each of the thirteen levels (nine on the cut down version) you're more encouraged to avoid fights rather than to take everyone on, but don't worry you Rambo wannabes you can still as the kids say these days 'merc the place up', but really in this game stealth is the way to go.
    Usually these side scrolling games get a bit repetitive but Conviction is different, it's exciting and every single level is kept fresh by surprising and new elements, such as twists in the story, new toys to play with, traps or puzzles, really it's the little things like that, that stop a game from getting boring.
    Now with most action games these days controlling the character is a fiddly affair, but this is where Conviction really shines, Controlling Sam is a joy which means no awkward jumps over roof tops which I do believe is a rare thing. You can tell that the developers have really spent some time on this area and I have to credit them for it.
    There is one disappointing factor about Conviction and that's the length of the game, it's pretty short you can probably finish the game within two hours, but don't let that put you off as there is definably some replayability to this game and it comes in the form of the points system, which in the same way as the console version rewards you for being stealthy.
    Conviction is one of if not the best mobile games I've ever played, simply because it's a joy to play and most importantly of all it's fun.

Conclusion

So I asked if Conviction lived up to it's big brother on the console... Well I can safely say yes it does, and you can't say that about many mobile games.

Screenshots

Graphics: 10/10
    Perfect.

Sound:
    4/10
    Don't really add to the game, don't take away.

Game play:
    10/10
    Simple and easy and very fun.

Story:
    10/10
    Though short there is replayability.

Overall Score: 10 out of 10
    gold.gif

Download the game: Here.
    Last edited by EvilSpaghetti; 06-10-2010 at 11:25 AM.

2. Default

I have played & finished the game in question and i must say that though your scores of a perfect 10 on the graphics , sound & gameplay are open to debate there is no question that in the world of java mobile action games , SC:Conviction delivers the goods and then some.

From the excellent opening title chase sequence to the final showdown with the last boss, i felt more like i was more like i was ''playing'' a movie rather than ''watching'' a game which is a testament to the work gameloft put into this title.

All in all , a good review for a good game

Good review Aaron

Rep+

4. Default

Thanks guys.

And filani I put the scores for sound and story in the wrong places.

Thanks for the review it's a great read, Aar0n

6. Default

Next review - Command & Conquer 4: Tiberian Twilight.

7. Default Review Tom Clancys Splinter Cell Conviction

That game looks amazing. great review. Ive always been a fan of the splinter cell games but i never seen it on the pc before. The graphics look amazing. Might have to give this game ago aswell

8. Default

Good review!

9. Default

I'm very grateful for the information you've given Log in to see links