Hey people!

First of all, I want all of you to know that I started this thread after getting permission from the admins.

My main objective in starting this thread is to show the bitter truth about the present situation & expose the corrupted president & his government to the international community.

I'll just briefly go through the events which led to all of this:

--------------------------------------------------------------------------

Most of you may know that the Civil War (Log in to see links) in our country that raged for over 26 years ended in May 2009. But soon afterward, in the election that followed, a new conflict came ashore.

The Commander & the General of the Sri Lankan Army, General Sarath Fonseka (Log in to see links), who played a major role to bring the Civil War to an end, resigned form his post & joined the United Opposition parties to enter the election as a candidate. His rival was Mahinda Rajapaksha (Log in to see links), the president who was elected in 2006, who was hoping to come into power again for the 2nd time.

In the election that followed President Rajapaksha won, & became the president for the second time (Many reliable sources claim that the election results were altered to favor Rajapaksha by IT technicians from India, & it should have been General Fonseka who should have become the rightful president.)

After the tyrant came into power (I'm using the word "Tyrant" because that is what he became after becoming president) he imprisoned General Fonseka (Knowing that as long as he stays in jail, the President's dirty secrets of corruption & injustice will stay with him) & then elected his trustworthy political henchmen as his ministers in the Parliamentary Election that followed (Again, using the IT Techs from India to doctor the results & select the ones absolutely trustworthy to him) last month. And now, his is going on the path of a dictator, driven on by the lust for power & wealth & unopposed by anyone. The next Presidential election won't be held until 2016!

N.B. - This description may sound like some banana republic kind of stuff that happens in Africa or South America, but it is the truth.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------

The above description was brief, but I will continue to post more details. From the next post onwards I will keep posting news & events that are happening in Sri Lanka. They will be taken from Local news sites as well as international sites such as BBC, CNN etc.

If any of you have time, please, read some of these articles, & drop a comment. I will be glad if you do so. It will make me happy to know that people are willing understand the situation & help my country.

Don't take this as just an effort by me to evoke sympathy for our country. I'm trynna expose the injustice, the corruption & the discrimination, hoping that someday, the truth will make our country the Paradise of the Indian Ocean once again.

Thanx for your time!